Cali Kid Corals

Hey Gresham!

I finished the kalk reactor!

(For everyone else)

I needed a kalk reactor, and decide that paying $500 for a Deltec was just crazy. So I built one.

This one is 21 3/4" tall, 6" OD cast tubing.

Here's the final result!

kalkdone.jpg

Sweet as sweet can be! Yeah specs on that motor!

Seems the motor is put high so you don't have to worry about making a rotatable water tight seal at the bottom. I've thought about using one of those magnetic stirrers they use in labs... but just can't find a cheap enough one.

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=3954.msg46822#msg46822 date=1214161046]

Seems the motor is put high so you don't have to worry about making a rotatable water tight seal at the bottom. I've thought about using one of those magnetic stirrers they use in labs... but just can't find a cheap enough one.

[/quote]They can be found used, I'll see if my pops has a line on where to get them. He's helping me set up a ghetto lab currently, and has found some cool stuff.

The motor is a Molon. Really, really good motor. I emailed the company for a cad drawing of the screw holes. Their reply was "it's a propritery motor, so we can't give you anything." However, their website just happens to have the dimensions. Thank you vectorworks!

The motor shaft has a small ring around it, so I had to shim the motor up from the bottom plate anyhow. I put it up 3/4" so most of the motor shaft stays out of the reactor. I'm sure over time it will get a bit of rust, but I'm not too concerned. The hardest part was making the connector between the motor and stir-rod. I really need a mill to do it right.

here's the link for the motors. Specs are on the web page.
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2008062220493614&item=5-1257&catname=

Not bad for $13.

B

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=3954.msg46825#msg46825 date=1214161713]
[/quote] He's helping me set up a ghetto lab currently, and has found some cool stuff.
[/quote]

umm..Jeremy, what kind of "Lab" are we talking here? haha

I just bit the bullet and ordered it from US Plastics. I ordered 10' so I have enough to make 4 reactors. I'm selling the other 3 to recoup my costs.

I did toy with the idea of getting colored tubing from here. But it only comes in 30" pieces. It's a bit more expensive, and seemed like a hassle ordering it. I tried to get a number to call and order it, but they didn't seem too interested in it.

B

[quote author=xinumaster link=topic=3954.msg46892#msg46892 date=1214246682]
very nice. How do you add the kalk in?
[/quote]

If the reply is D'oh! , don't laugh. But that thing is art anyway.

[quote author=xinumaster link=topic=3954.msg46892#msg46892 date=1214246682]
very nice. How do you add the kalk in?
[/quote]
Wait, I thought a Kalk reactor produced kalk! I have to figure out a way to get kalk in? WTF???

Actually the top section just rests on top of the tube. All you have to do is lift the top.

[quote author=FinalPhaze987 link=topic=3954.msg46868#msg46868 date=1214204308]
[/quote] He's helping me set up a ghetto lab currently, and has found some cool stuff.
[/quote]

umm..Jeremy, what kind of "Lab" are we talking here? haha
[/quote]Dissection, primarily for pests/pathogens, as well as proper SPS ID's. I already have a dissection microscope that measures 1/10th mm from college, my dad's (retired chem engineer) picking up some other goodies for me.

Staying on topic :D, Bad Coffee, do you plan on using it as an ATO, or using a litermeter type setup? I keep toying with the idea of a kalk reactor, I just cannot make up my mind in regards to the dosing schedule, I haven't used kalk in at least 10 years ::)

Yep. if someone reaches in my stand, completly removes the phosban reactor, litermeter, and the whole sump, then they can tip it over. :)

I made the base smaller because i don't have much room under my stand. On the other ones i'll probably make the base a square and have another inch the whole way around.

B

Mine has a small baseplate and I have no fears of it falling :)

I can't belive I didn't catch this post until now...looks GREAT :)

FWIW folk ATO doesn't work via Kalk reactors typically UNLESS you use a dosing pump. I don't know of any that can take city pressure and I doubt this one would either ;)

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=3954.msg46822#msg46822 date=1214161046]

[/quote]They can be found used, I'll see if my pops has a line on where to get them. He's helping me set up a ghetto lab currently, and has found some cool stuff.
[/quote]

LAbX is a used lab gear place online, Ebay is great as well :)

Back