Hi all!!

Discussion in 'Welcome!' started by Im_not_nemos_dad, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Hi all!! I'm new to online forum and I'm looking to get back on the reefing hobby again. I owned multiple tanks throughout the years of reef keeping but, never joined a reef forum. I usually just buy corals from LFS, craigslist and our trusted PETCO.hehe.

I hope by joining this forum I can share my experience and learn more things about this hobby.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2. jamie

jamie Supporting Member

welcome, i just got back in the hoby myself, tank is only been running fir a month.

3. Thank you!

I actually have a tank setup and running already. It's a 20g inovative drop down tank. Heres a picture. [​IMG]

JGO66 likes this.
  4. Newjack

Newjack Supporting Member

looks nice,
    welcome

5. Thank You!

Its only been up and running for 4 months. I made a rookie move and put a RBTA last month. Now that poor anemone is bleaching.

6. glee

glee BOD

Welcome to BAR.

7. jamie

jamie Supporting Member

hope ya figure out why the rbta is bleaching, im waiting to get one as well.

8. I think the tank it's not mature yet. 6 months to 1 years is the ideal cycle time before putting an anemone. I just got the anemone for a great price that's why I bought it.

9. Flagg37

Flagg37 Supporting Member

Don’t nems typically bleach from too much light? Are there other factors that play into it?

I just read that high temps will do it too. Anything that causes the nem to expel its zooxanthellae.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  10. popper

popper Supporting Member

Welcome. Glad to have you and your honesty with the RBTA. That's one tank I haven't own. The double decker.

Im_not_nemos_dad likes this.
  11. JVU

JVU BOD

Welcome!

12. I dont know if too much light can actually bleach an anemone. Im running my AI prime 8 hrs a day with only 40% so I dont thinks it's the light. My temp is good so I dont that's the issue.

13. Kim Pattison

Kim Pattison Sponsor

Welcome to the club

14. iani

iani Supporting Member

Just a guess but nutrients may be too low.

15. OurCoralReef

OurCoralReef Guest

16. jccaclimber

jccaclimber Supporting Member

Are you feeding the nem?

17. Yes I'm feeding them. They are actually doing ok. Mouth is close and they are attached to my rock works. I just really think my system is to young to put them in.

18. Heres an updated photo of my tank and the bleached anemones. They are actually starting to color backup. I just did a 10 gallon water change yesterday.

My setup has been up and running since January 2019. I added the nems last month.I figured it was ready for anemone but I guess not. My tank is not mature enought. All my parameters are good though. I think that's because I started my cycle with dry rocks. If I had live rocks to start my cycle, 6 months should be good.But if you start with dry rocks with natural cycle dont add anemome for a year. I just learned something new everyday.[​IMG]

19. Flagg37

Flagg37 Supporting Member

I added my rbta right after the cycle was done (so like 3-4 weeks). I used all new dry rock. It didn’t have any problems.

20. Wow interesting. Did you add dry sand also? What did u use when cycling your tank?