Our mission

Hi and advice on tank move/setup

I'm glad to hear the plumbing is easy on those tanks since I don't have experience setting up complex plumbing.

I also want this new build to have more orderly electronics and wiring mounted in the dry 1/3 of the cabinet on the right. I have separate top-off, the new Apex with ALD and plan to get DOS x2-3 for 2-part, water change, and maybe carbon dosing. Right now I'm using biopellets in a phosban reactor. Plus all the usual stuff and the pile of transformers to go with them. I was thinking either Velcro'ing the modules on the inside wall with those square conduits along the edges for wire management, or a false wall with wires going through the holes. I want something easy to change up and mess with since I'm sure I'll change my mind as I go along. Any suggestions?

Also I'm planning eventually to have a pass through to the garage (which is right on the other side of the wall) for an RO/DI container, salt mixing container, and probably have the DOS pumps and DDR out there. I'll definitely need help with the going through the wall part. Wondering if maybe I should at least put in the pass through between the old tank breakdown move and the new tank build. How do people do it to keep insulation?

Come to our next event, my 525 xl still has stock plumbing. The 750 has a newer sump but the general concept is still the same.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I'm glad to hear the plumbing is easy on those tanks since I don't have experience setting up complex plumbing.

I also want this new build to have more orderly electronics and wiring mounted in the dry 1/3 of the cabinet on the right. I have separate top-off, the new Apex with ALD and plan to get DOS x2-3 for 2-part, water change, and maybe carbon dosing. Right now I'm using biopellets in a phosban reactor. Plus all the usual stuff and the pile of transformers to go with them. I was thinking either Velcro'ing the modules on the inside wall with those square conduits along the edges for wire management, or a false wall with wires going through the holes. I want something easy to change up and mess with since I'm sure I'll change my mind as I go along. Any suggestions?

Also I'm planning eventually to have a pass through to the garage (which is right on the other side of the wall) for an RO/DI container, salt mixing container, and probably have the DOS pumps and DDR out there. I'll definitely need help with the going through the wall part. Wondering if maybe I should at least put in the pass through between the old tank breakdown move and the new tank build. How do people do it to keep insulation?
I will have (this week) my ato and continuous water change through the wall into the crawlspace. You won't need a big hole, just a single gangbox and brush faceplate to fit ato tubing, dos tubing in and out. I also have a 1/2 in line for my skimmer. It will not be insulated unless you want to spray foam insulation into the gangbox after you have run your tubes through them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will have (this week) my ato and continuous water change through the wall into the crawlspace. You won't need a big hole, just a single gangbox and brush faceplate to fit ato tubing, dos tubing in and out. I also have a 1/2 in line for my skimmer. It will not be insulated unless you want to spray foam insulation into the gangbox after you have run your tubes through them.

If you have a photo of the gangbox , we'd be curious! We are about to run a line for or ATO through a wall and want it to look nice. We could use a little inspiration.

Continuous water change? So much to learn...

Brush plate like this, right? Didn't know it existed but just what I was hoping for!

9a39dd2d61cd2c3ab40bd037285140a3.jpg

Continuous water change? So much to learn...

Yes I'm hoping to post photos later, but a Neptune Dos, or other high quality peristaltic pump can take X amount of fluid out of the sump to drain, and X amount of fluid in from a NSW container throughout the day, so water changes don't need to happen, and parameters are more stable.

This week planning on setting up a P trap in my crawlspace draining into a pipe down there.

You could also drill a 1/4" holes throught a plastic blank plate too. They cost about .39 each and use a caddy MPLS ring instead of a box. The plate will screw to it.
5be8ad3d1d77b3cfb43e2b5932e913e8.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks Im from the east coast but I am always looking for a good forum. Getting ready to do a tank move myself I am moving my 55G & 40 Breeder into 120G with 34G trigger Sump

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Im from the east coast but I am always looking for a good forum. Getting ready to do a tank move myself I am moving my 55G & 40 Breeder into 120G with 34G trigger Sump

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nice! How are you planning on performing the move and transfer? You've probably thought about this more than most of us have :).

Nice! How are you planning on performing the move and transfer? You've probably thought about this more than most of us have :).

Going to set tank add live sand dry rock and about 50-60 gallons of new water. I will remove live rock into a large bin with some tank water with a circ pump and a heater and fish in another big bin with the same. Then I will add my 70-80lbs of live rock to the scape then I will add fish & Corals. I am planning on adding some Dr. Tims to help with additional bacteria building. Then I will cross my fingers LOL! I;m thinking this will be an all day event. I may ask one of my reef club members for some help too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

It'll definitely be an all day event if you're planning on doing the whole move at once. That's ambitious. Have lots of extra NSW made up just in case. And although I haven't done as big a move as this, I only used a few cups of sand. Seems like your sandbed is pretty shallow so it may not be a problem to reuse it. Good luck!

Cpage, thanks for the advice on the drillable plate and good luck with your move.

I did a similar tank move when I did my last upgrade 6 years ago, combining my previous 45g without a sump, and the 75g tank I had bought used, which was lightly stocked. I did it by myself at the same time as moving our house as well (same city), which seemed like a good idea at the time. Took us a day to move our entire house and family of four, then another entire day to move/consolidate the tanks.

I went slow and didn't have any major issues, but I was moving into a used tank so everything had already been set up for me in a sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This was a 8' long tank that we swapped out back in 2006 which was infested with shrooms.

upload_2017-5-16_14-3-37.png

Everything was done in a day and it wasn't too bad with 6 guys. Owner was prepped with two different tanks - one for the rocks and the other for the fish. He eventually scrapped all the rocks due to the extent of the shroom coverage.

This was a 8' long tank that we swapped out back in 2006 which was infested with shrooms.

View attachment 7061

Everything was done in a day and it wasn't too bad with 6 guys. Owner was prepped with two different tanks - one for the rocks and the other for the fish. He eventually scrapped all the rocks due to the extent of the shroom coverage.
Oh wow

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Back