Cali Kid Corals

Hi from SF

Hey guys,
Am new to this forum although have been peeking in over the last couple of weeks.

Currently running:
Innovative Marine 38G
+ Minimax Media reactor
+ Hydor Nano Skim
+ media basket
+ Jebao wp25​
AI Vega
+ Controller​

Two Clowns, Goby, Damsel, Blenny
Some cleanup crew

Coral includes Mushrooms, Polyps, Dendro, Frogspawn, Hammer, Anenome, some purchased frags that I'm trying to grow out.

I'm trying to use this tank as a proving ground to see if I have the skills to upgrade to a 120G shallow with the view to getting a tang for the gf at some point. that's my excuse and open door to upgrade :)

Anyway, am having trouble growing certain things, corals in particular although things like the dendro are really growing, livestock have no issues, whereas the frags are bleaching out. Was wondering if I should post for some help in the corals, equipment (thinking it's a lighting issue) or chemistry section.
Will post some pics when I get something that represents.

Anyway, thanks in advance and am looking forward to sharing and growing in the hobby further.

Mike

Welcome!

I have an AI Hydra and I know it's a pretty fine line between too little light and scorching the corals, but bleaching could be any number of things.

I'd post in the coral forum and see what other people think. A few photos would probably help too...

Thanks for the welcomes. Am having trouble posting in the Coral forum tonight, cannot be processed, will try again tomorro night.
Maybe this will work...Hmm. Seems to work here. Note Mg testing was not correct before the 1000 reading, I wasn't swirling 5 separate drops in step one.
upload_2014-9-10_21-50-38.png

Alkalinity and calcium are both on the low side. magnesium is low too if the 1000 is the correct number. Are you sure your salinity is 1.024? How are you measuring salinity?

Alkalinity and calcium are both on the low side. magnesium is low too if the 1000 is the correct number. Are you sure your salinity is 1.024? How are you measuring salinity?
Hmm. I'm using a Hydrometer. You're going to tell me to use a Refractor, aren't you ?

I know there's a connection between Ca, Mg and dKH, it sounds as though I need more salinity to hold more Mg, Ca, is that correct ? I need to do study it further.

Next thing is to work out why they're low and what is sucking them from the tank, or maybe the salinity is out and I just need to add more salt to the salt water (or less). </conjecture>

Hmm. I'm using a Hydrometer. You're going to tell me to use a Refractor, aren't you ?

I know there's a connection between Ca, Mg and dKH, it sounds as though I need more salinity to hold more Mg, Ca, is that correct ? I need to do study it further.

Next thing is to work out why they're low and what is sucking them from the tank, or maybe the salinity is out and I just need to add more salt to the salt water (or less). </conjecture>

I would suggest that you try something else or take it to a LFS for confirmation. A refractometer calibrated with .35 PPT salinity solution is certainly reliable, but someone did a study and found that hydrometers were actually pretty reliable and consistent when used correctly. You could just have gotten a bad hydrometer or you aren't getting enough of the air off the arm when you are reading it. A second opinion would clear it up. Since all your levels are testing low, it seems to point to low salinity.

I've found that 35 ppt or 1.025-1.026 seems to work better for me than 1.024. I think you probably could top off with some fresh saltwater for a few days until your hydrometer says you are in that range. Test again and see if that helped.

I would suggest that you try something else or take it to a LFS for confirmation. A refractometer calibrated with .35 PPT salinity solution is certainly reliable, but someone did a study and found that hydrometers were actually pretty reliable and consistent when used correctly. You could just have gotten a bad hydrometer or you aren't getting enough of the air off the arm when you are reading it. A second opinion would clear it up. Since all your levels are testing low, it seems to point to low salinity.

I've found that 35 ppt or 1.025-1.026 seems to work better for me than 1.024. I think you probably could top off with some fresh saltwater for a few days until your hydrometer says you are in that range. Test again and see if that helped.
Thanks very much for the information. I'll have mine verified tomorrow when I pick up some more salt water. Actually, I've got one for my beer brewing kit, I'll see if I can dig that out and verify (assuming it has similar measurements). Either way, store tomorrow.

Some rudimentary testing shows that my Hydromoter reads at least 1 point high which would put the specific gravity at 1.023 at the most. Sounds like it's time to top up with some seawater to bring it up 2 or three points. Will still get it checked but at least I can start tonight on bringing it up to par.

Back