Cali Kid Corals

High Powered Laser To Kill Pests

Those videos are pretty sweet, and I would love to see some of the little bastards cooked in person.

However, sounds like a bad idea for the club. Last thing we would need is to have some member not take the proper safety precautions and end up blinding themselves or someone else. The lasers used in these threads and videos are powerful enough to do permanent damage to your eye in less time than it takes you to blink. I seen one post on a forum (don't remember which one) where a user had improperly secured the laser after use. It fell off the table, turned on, and burnt his retina.

If you decide to use one of these, be sure to follow all the precautions. This includes:
-you and anyone else in the room always wearing the proper glasses for the laser you are using.
-making sure no one not properly shielded is in the room (including other pets) or can accidentally enter the room while the laser is in use.
-make sure you know where all reflections are going, a weak pointing laser of a different wavelength would be useful, as you won't be able to see the main laser
-make sure your fish or other mobile inverts can't accidentally wander into the path of the laser.

+1 to what Michael said. As someone who uses lasers daily, I personally would recommend NOT using them. Ones powerful enough to kill pests are seriously dangerous and extremely easy to misshandle. Just think of it as one step under a gun. It won't kill you, but potential to do irreversible intentional and unintentional damage to anyone (yourself and those around you)

I'm in the same boat as Michael and Tony on this one. Someone will get hurt doing this. And it will be permanent. You certainly won't see our club buying one.

Yes, I agree, it is not a toy. But if used with safety precautions, it could be a great tool. Just wanted to bring it up to see if anyone has tried it yet. I definitely wouldn't want anyone to get hurt or our tank mates.

yellojello said:
Yes, I agree, it is not a toy. But if used with safety precautions, it could be a great tool. Just wanted to bring it up to see if anyone has tried it yet. I definitely wouldn't want anyone to get hurt or our tank mates.
step 1: get appropriate OD laser safety glasses/goggles for everyone in the room when using the laser
step 2: see step 1

:p

you can get laser glasses here without any trouble.
Be sure to have the right wavelength covered.
http://www.thorlabs.us/NewGroupPage9.cfm?ObjectGroup_ID=762

What Tony, Dave, and Michael said.

And read this, including the accident case studies:

http://ehs.berkeley.edu/hs/64-laser-safety.html

And post this sign everywhere.

98b5f7bc.jpg

If you think we are joking or are being overly paranoid, we are not. I've been using lasers for the past 12 years and know better then to play with the devil as if it were my friend.

how you going to get the fish to put on laser glasses?
http://www.dailytech.com/New+1W+Spyder+III+Krypton+Laser+Ready+to+Set+Objects+on+Fire/article24167.htm

Back