Hollywood Stunner Chalice in Mountain View

Discussion in 'DBTC - LPS' started by wpeterson, Jan 10, 2016.

statistics
Hollywood Stunner
Chain Started on:
01/10/2016
Latest Updated on:
01/23/2016
Chain Length:
13 days
Most Generous Donors:
wpeterson
Most Single Donations:
Number of Transactions:
Currently Growing:
Currently Available:
Currently Failures:
Currently Unknown:
  • image.jpg
  • 20170912_174227.jpg
  • side-stunner.jpg
  • IMG_4566.JPG
  • 20170622_100240.jpg
  • wpeterson
    wpeterson
    01/10/2016
    • Vhuang168
      Vhuang168
      01/13/2016
    • Newjack
      Newjack
      01/16/2016
    • coral4me
      coral4me
      01/16/2016
    • dochou
      dochou
      01/18/2016
    • MolaMola
      MolaMola
      01/23/2016
  1. jonmos75

jonmos75 Guest

Sure I will be here tomorrow, but Monday it would have to be after I get off work....

2. wpeterson

wpeterson Webmaster

I believe @<3-2-reef grabbed a frag of this at the photo workshop today.

3. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

Can you hold on to one for me? I can pick it up when I return your light. Thanks again for letting me borrow it.

4. wpeterson

wpeterson Webmaster

I've got two medium sized frags left and one small one. Come get them. Feel free to take one of these @Flagg37 if @Vhuang168 doesn't hook you up.

The purple and green montis have all been claimed.

5. dochou

dochou Guest

Very nice frags, Thanks! I'll post pics soon.

wpeterson likes this.
  6. MolaMola

MolaMola Supporting Member

20170912_174227.jpg Any supporting members want Hollywood Stunner? I will bring the frags to the swap. I will try to post photo later. Ours grew into a swirling cup shape. Easy care, fast grower, looks cool if you have the space. We had a tank temp spike in summer that killed half the tank, but this came out unscathed.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Ashalye likes this.
  7. Mark B

Mark B Supporting Member

Hi Maureen,
    We would like one - please.
    Mark

8. ashburn2k

ashburn2k Supporting Member

why is your stunner looks grayish ?

9. Newjack

Newjack Supporting Member

imo if they are placed in low light they look like Maureen's. If she moves it up into more direct light it will color back up

10. MolaMola

What color should it be? Maybe it's a poor photo - it is brown with green eyes. It's not in low light - right under a Kessil. I would love to see other people's to compare. I thought it was getting too much light, actually.

11. ashburn2k

This is mine

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ashalye likes this.
  12. MolaMola

side-stunner.jpg Wow. Looks a lot different. My eyes are farther apart, mine has less echino surface texture, and a totally different fluted growth shape that I think @Coral reefer surmised was due to flow pattern. My Stunner's overall shape is like a big vase made of leaflike plates - see pic showing the whole side. Thanks for posting the pic @ashburn2k

Ashalye likes this.
  13. RandyC

RandyC Guest

Chalices will typically only curl up and go vertical when it's chasing light or a rock is in its way.

14. ashburn2k

I’m using the 165w Chinese black box blue at 100, white at 30 for light reference

15. Wlachnit

Wlachnit Supporting Member

Aren't chalices supposed to grow like a chalice? None of mine do though....

Coral reefer likes this.
  16. RandyC

RandyC Guest

The family Pectiniidae has multiple species. I think a lot of what we buy/see are more the encrusting and plating type.

"Chalices are so-called because they often form cup-shaped colonies upheld by a thin, calcium carbonate skeleton (they are Large-Polyped Scleractians--LPS). However, the name is misleading because there are a number of loosely related species that come from several genera and at least two different families. Some form encrusting colonies, with a lumpy, mountainous look. Others create cup-shaped or foliose formations with their slim skeletal plates."

http://www.qualitymarine.com/News/Species-Spotlight/Chalice-Corals-(05/15/13)

17. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

Sounds like it's time for another experiment for @MolaMola. You should each take a frag of the other person's stunner then place it near the other colony and see how the new frag grows. You could even have a third party take one of each of your frags and see how they grow.

MolaMola, Ashalye and ashburn2k like this.
  18. ashburn2k

I like that idea!

19. Ashalye

Ashalye Webmaster

Sounds like a great experiment!

ashburn2k likes this.
  20. MolaMola

OH YEAH I am all over that experiment! If anybody else wants a piece of the curly growth one, please post as soon as you can because I have to bring my frags home from school this afternoon.
    (One group of students is not keen on the idea because our lone surviving big brittle star hangs out in the center of the cup formation. These are the same students who stopped algae scrubbing one side of the tank because a shrimp "attacked them" when they tried to clean there and decided to triple the feeding amount without telling me so "everyone would get enough food.")

fishdoctor likes this.