Jestersix

Hollywood Stunner Chalice in Mountain View

@wperterson generously fragged his green monti for me earlier this week. When he broke off the piece, it broke into 3 pieces. All are a good sized so if anyone wants a piece of the green monti, let me know. I have 2 frags.

Can you hold on to one for me? I can pick it up when I return your light. Thanks again for letting me borrow it.

20170912_174227.jpg
Any supporting members want Hollywood Stunner? I will bring the frags to the swap. I will try to post photo later. Ours grew into a swirling cup shape. Easy care, fast grower, looks cool if you have the space. We had a tank temp spike in summer that killed half the tank, but this came out unscathed.

Last edited:
What color should it be? Maybe it's a poor photo - it is brown with green eyes. It's not in low light - right under a Kessil. I would love to see other people's to compare. I thought it was getting too much light, actually.

What color should it be? Maybe it's a poor photo - it is brown with green eyes. It's not in low light - right under a Kessil. I would love to see other people's to compare. I thought it was getting too much light, actually.

This is mine

4fde52f42f0e34ed4b1b596b9b3353c0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

side-stunner.jpg
Wow. Looks a lot different. My eyes are farther apart, mine has less echino surface texture, and a totally different fluted growth shape that I think @Coral reefer surmised was due to flow pattern. My Stunner's overall shape is like a big vase made of leaflike plates - see pic showing the whole side. Thanks for posting the pic @ashburn2k

Last edited:

Chalices will typically only curl up and go vertical when it's chasing light or a rock is in its way.

Aren't chalices supposed to grow like a chalice? None of mine do though....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The family Pectiniidae has multiple species. I think a lot of what we buy/see are more the encrusting and plating type.

"Chalices are so-called because they often form cup-shaped colonies upheld by a thin, calcium carbonate skeleton (they are Large-Polyped Scleractians--LPS). However, the name is misleading because there are a number of loosely related species that come from several genera and at least two different families. Some form encrusting colonies, with a lumpy, mountainous look. Others create cup-shaped or foliose formations with their slim skeletal plates."

http://www.qualitymarine.com/News/Species-Spotlight/Chalice-Corals-(05/15/13)

Last edited:
OH YEAH I am all over that experiment! If anybody else wants a piece of the curly growth one, please post as soon as you can because I have to bring my frags home from school this afternoon.
(One group of students is not keen on the idea because our lone surviving big brittle star hangs out in the center of the cup formation. These are the same students who stopped algae scrubbing one side of the tank because a shrimp "attacked them" when they tried to clean there and decided to triple the feeding amount without telling me so "everyone would get enough food.")

Back