Our mission

Home Brew Sump

Petco has their tank sale and I'm about to get a 40g breeder and build my own sump. I have two USED large pieces of plexiglass for the baffles, but since they've been used, what would be the best way to clean them for use in the sump?

Also, does anyone have a table saw I could use to size them? I would buy the blade and give it to you.

Thanks

How does the acrylic need to be cleaned? Is there coraline? green algae? brown diatoms? Soaking your pieces in vinegar would probably help with most of that.

Also make sure when you do you cuts you do not make a tight fit, make sure there is a gap as acrylic will expand, silicone won't stick to it but you can always just make a thick gasket with it.

Is it acrylic? Or polycarbonate? A desktop protector most likely the later. Also how thick is it? I wouldn't use anything less than quarter inch for sump baffles.

I don't have the tank yet...turns out a 40g breeder doesn't fit below my tank. I need a 40 long instead. If Petco has them in stock I'll pick one up this week. Not next weekend but the weekend after. Thanks

I imagine lots of people run baffle-less sumps. Years back Green Marine in Berkely had all their systems (all 40B’s) without baffles. If you are experiencing a lot of microbubbles, maybe some issue with the skimmer?

For me baffles are more for keeping water level for the skimmer constant, quite a few are very touchy, including really high end models like Bubble Kings.

Back