Reef nutrition

Hooked; 3 Tank Builds ...

IMGP7660.jpg

i have 2 dawrfs in the 12g nano; they get brine enriched 2 times a day;pods weekly; ; its up to then to catch them; tank just has a nano skimmer and no power-heads low flow; hv few anem and pom crabs to eat the left over brine;

wasn't expecting them so they are being raised with the adults.

not sure if the babies I lost where do to lack of food, the zoos, or extra large scary pods got them.

next batch will be raised in a finex with a sponge filter

Three out of ten dwarfs lived from the first batch; baby area is ready and two adults are pregnant; Pretty sure it's the large cope pods that got them ...
They are also attacking my bubble tip anem at night in the other tank

55 is done cycling ... fish in qt donated; they where in a neglected tank at 1.014 so I'm slowing raising it up...
55cycled-donated-fish-in-qt.jpg

55.jpg

bayview said:
wasn't expecting them so they are being raised with the adults.

not sure if the babies I lost where do to lack of food, the zoos, or extra large scary pods got them.

next batch will be raised in a finex with a sponge filter
I'd expect not enough food of the right size for them, unless you were adding a ton?
Also zoas or pods could be getting fed, and also if you have an overflow is think many got in there.
It's awesome you had some make it! Good luck with the next couple of tries!
What temp is that tank kept at, and what do you feed the adults?

I tend to add a ton every day for the adults and babies and turn off the filter down for 8 hours ... no overflow it's a 12g fluval ...
here is a baby eating brine still floating around after 6 hours ... temps are at 75
babyseahorse.jpg

these are the only types of food dwarfs eat ... I enrich and feed adult brine and babies ... also have cope pods and Amphipods in the tank .... problem is the dwarfs don't eat the adults, and the adult Amphipods are carnivorous and eat fry.

I'll see if I can get Rotifers for the next ones

"Brine shrimp, Artemia Sp.
The most common food offered to seahorses and also probably the worst. Many fish stores recommend feeding this because as a live food, a lot of seahorses will react to it and eat it. However, there is virtually no nutritional value to them, and because seahorses have a short digestive tract, they can not even make use of the little bit nutrients there. Seahorses fed only this will slowly die of starvation, sometimes over a period of months. There is some value to enriching them, although not enough to be a staple of the diet. They are often refused as well because they do not behave like "normal" shrimp which are part of a seahorse's natural diet. Their swimming habits often confuse seahorses, leaving them often to entirely ignore the brine shrimp.
Baby Brine Shrimp, Artemia sp.
Unlike Adult Brine shrimp there is SOME nutritional value to newly hatched baby brine shrimp. They have a nutritious yolk reserve to allow them to hatch out and survive the first twelve hours until they develop a complete mouth and anus. It is when they first hatch that they are still at their most nutritious and should be fed. Decapsulating the cyst before hatching (removing the shells) is recommended so it takes less energy for the brine nauplii to hatch, and are therefore more nutritious because they've used less of their food store. Brine shrimp can also be enriched for 24 hours before feeding. Baby brine shrimp is the normal staple for dwarf seahorses, and is often used to feed seahorse fry.
Day old brine shrimp next to a penny.
Rotifers
Saltwater rotifers are microscopic organisms feed to seahorse fry that are too small to take brine shrimp at birth, and for supplementing the diet of adult dwarf seahorse. They are easy to culture using phytoplankton, yeast, special rotifer food, and even v8! There are a few different species and strains available in aquaculture, and choosing larger ones is usually better for seahorse fry.
Three rotifers next to a penny for size comparison. That is the 'T' from "IN GOD WE TRUST".

Copepod

Copepod
Copepods
Tiny crustaceans, most roughly the size of new born brine shrimp. They are the best food for seahorse fry and dwarfs, but are not easy to culture and depending on their swimming habits, may not be noticed by some fry. There are three kinds of copepods generally used for feeding seahorses, harpactacoid, cyclopoid and calanoid. Harpactacoid are the easiest to culture, but they prefer living on the surface of objects, and thus do not always attract the attention of seahorses.They can be gathered from aquariums at night when they are most commonly found on the sides of the aquarium. Culturing just requires a container with an airline set on low, and crushed flake food. Calanoids swim in the water column which makes them ideal for seahorse fry and dwarves. However they are not easily cultured. Most used for seahorse food are caught directly from the ocean. Cyclopoids (cyclops) are found in refugiums occasionally and fed out. They are predatory, so culturing is probably not an option."

Might be allitle pre-mature

Turned an old closet into a stand for a oceanic 57 gallon rimless to move my 20 tall two eventually

Just have to sell some koi first :p

standfor60g.jpg

Here is a pic of the evil pods attacking some baby anems that spit off my main due to the irritation
carnivourspods.jpg

Back