Jestersix

Hooks on a tripod

How important are these hooks? I have a cheapy Dynex tripod which is pretty flimsy, and it has a hook for stability if you choose to hang something from it. I am looking into a Manfrotto 7302YB (http://www.adorama.com/BG7302YB.html), and it does not have a hook ... any thoughts? I won't be using this tripod under suer extreme conditions or anything ... just looking for something sturdy.
While I am at it ... does anyone have any thoughts on this tripod?

In my opinion, getting yourself into extereme conditions sometimes yields the coolest photos ;) At least they'll have a story.

I've used the hook A LOT in the past. Anytime it's slightly windy, it gives you a lot more stability than you think. Even the tiniest wind will slightly move your tripod, regardless. Usually for fast enough exposures, it won't do a think, but slower shutterspeeds, you'll start seeing the problems.

I usually find myself using it when I'm along the coast. I've shot way out on the cliffs (got a trespassing ticket too one of those times) in the marine headlands pretty close to the bridge. The temperature was low 40's high 30's, wind was gushing so bad that I had to crawl out onto the cliff. I couldn't stand at all. It was also 1am so it was dark as heck and scary. So anyway, I setup my tripod while laying down, and hung me AND my friend's really heavy bags on it to keep it stable. and WOW, what a difference. It's not that hard to get into super extreme conditions, trust me =)

You can get a center column with most manfrotto tripod legs that have a hook. I have a Feisol carbon fiber tripod, and all their center columns come standard with a hook.

One tiny little thing makes a difference, i'd say go for it.

so, you'd recommend a Manfrotto tripod with a center column that already has a hook on it -gotcha. The tripod I have linked there in my original post ... it doesn't appear to have a hook on the bottom of the center column! Is there another stability mechanism that tripod uses other than the hook, or is it totally not worth getting?
Trespassing ticket!? Whoa, that's crazy! You got it because you wanted a picture?! NUTS
Is there a certain tripod you can recommend for me?
I understand the relationship between stability, cost, and weight. I am willing to sacrifice a little bit of stability for something that fits $150 (I know, not a terrible amount). Either an entire tripod set-up, or a tripod + head combination?

A_Lee said:
so, you'd recommend a Manfrotto tripod with a center column that already has a hook on it -gotcha. The tripod I have linked there in my original post ... it doesn't appear to have a hook on the bottom of the center column! Is there another stability mechanism that tripod uses other than the hook, or is it totally not worth getting?

The nicer tripods come in pieces, so you can / could buy tripod legs, center column, and head. The tripod legs vary in height and weight usually, the center column doesn't vary too much, and the head is very important: Ball head, the geared ones, etc. If you put them all together, you can get something around $150 (for probably the cheapest solution, which is also pretty darn good already). I'd say visit bhphotovideo.com and checkout the different pieces there and mix and match to your heart's desire. Go into a local camera shop (LCS) and look at them too to get an idea. Pay attention to the weight that they can hold as well (like don't get the teeny tiny ball head).

It's not worth getting a center column w/o a hook just because it's so standard on even the cheapest of center columns. It's hard now a days to even find that, unless you're getting it in a package or as a kit (which doesn't necessarily save money or time). I know people who have super cheap center columns, and they all have hooks. So it's silly to not have one as a standard =)

Trespassing ticket!? Whoa, that's crazy! You got it because you wanted a picture?! NUTS
I do some crazy stuff for the right photo. In example of the bridge, I was tired of getting the cliffs of the marin headlands in all the shots, so I cruised out to the end of the cliff that you see in all bridge shots, and took one unobstructed of the entire bridge. I've done it a bunch of times now, once getting caught by rangers. It was funny, there were at least 7 other people who followed me in as well =) It didn't go on my record, just cost $75.

Is there a certain tripod you can recommend for me?
I'd recommend a feisol (www.feisol.com) as they are extremely well built carbon fiber solutions. But they're pretty expensive. Otherwise go with Benbo if you want to go carbon fiber. If you don't want to pay too much, manfrotto you can't go wrong with. In most cases, a cheap $12 from target goes a long way too =X so keep that in mind.

If you do a lot of tripod work, one that can reach eye level without the center column extending more than 1/3 up is ideal. That usually means it's fairly stable at eye level. I always hang my bag regardless of wind, just cuz the hook is there and it gives my back and shoulders a rest ;)

The cheaper legs and such are MUCH heavier, but still stable.

hope that helps!

Thanks for all the help so far Art, you're a lifesaver.
So I've narrowed my options for tripod legs to the Manfrotto 190XDB ($100), and the Manfrotto XB ($130). I cannot see a hook on the center column of either! Is there a hook somewhere on these, but I just do not see it?
I am also leaning towards the Manfrotto 484RC2 ($60) Ball Head. What do you think? I am using a Canon 40D, and my largest lens are the Canon 17-40L, and the Canon 100mm Macro. Do you think I will need the Manfrotto 486RC2 ($75) Ball Head?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/272757-REG/Manfrotto_by_Bogen_Imaging_484RC2_484RC2_Mini_Ballhead_Quick.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/272449-REG/Manfrotto_by_Bogen_Imaging_486RC2_486RC2_Compact_Ballhead_w_Rapid.html

that mini ballhead isn't going to last you very long. Things will start slipping. That's the exact ballhead I had in mind when I was suggest to take heed against the smaller ones.

You'll probably want the larger one.

I'm not sure of the center columns on manfrotto, are there tech specs on it?

also they might not show the hook because it's detachable (screw it out), so I think maybe look for some specification listing out all the little features. I'll look around for you on other photo forums to see as well.

Thanks Art. I had no idea a decent performing tripod would get so pricey :( Hopefully this one lasts me for a while. So, I'll definitely be going for the Manfrotto 486RC2 ($75) Ball Head. Maybe go with the Manfrotto 190XDB ($100) to help curb the costs a little. Yikes, $175 for a tripod ... who would've thought ...
How often do you find yourself using your tripod Art?

Yeah a nice tripod setup will cost a lot =( My tripod setup is just under $400. But yes, good tripods will last forever (or until you want new gear just because).

I use a tripod often enough to need it. Every shoot I go on, I have my tripod with me, just in case. Being able to shoot at high iso is nice, but sometimes (like for landscapes) you absolutely cannot have any noise, so tripods are a must. If it's not between 10am and 4pm, tripods will be needed for good landscapes.

I find myself using tripods mainly for: landscapes, architecture (at night), macro work (on still items), and when I get really tired of holding a camera. Other neat tricks you can use with tripods is panos (with a nodal tripod head), panning, and other stuff. Also good for off camera lighting, where you can mount a light to it (nikon CLS system is great for that), and just have a flash sitting closer to the subject than you are.

Anyway, a tripod comes with me everywhere, even if I don't think I need it. I invested in a nice carbon fiber one because of wanting to bring it everywhere to me. The weight makes a big difference, and the less weight the easier it is for me to decide to bring it. Helps with my laziness. I've done 3 day hikes with my tripod and never used it once... but if you miss out on that one golden shot, you'll regret it forever ;)

but i'd say, yes, go with that configuration you have listed, later on you might be OK with the tripod still (and it will last!) or you'll want to upgrade regardless.

goodluck!!

Hey Art, real quick -I just saw this:
http://www.adorama.com/BG7302YB.html
Any thoughts?
I am not sure about the integrity of the ball head, and I don't know if there is a stability hook (I swear, I would think this comes standard on ALL tripods ... my friends $20 tripod came with a hook!)

A_Lee said:
Hey Art, real quick -I just saw this:
http://www.adorama.com/BG7302YB.html
Any thoughts?

really short! 50" is like 4 feet at maximum height, which means at the most unstable height. No matter what you're gonna be stooping down to look through the viewfinder. It also has a built in head, so you're stuck with that one. I think it's OK, but it's not going to be very flexible in the long run. Might be good for traveling though.

on the other hand, if you have a combo, legs, column, head, you can upgrade one of those at a time if you wanted. I don't think you'd ever need a new center column, but you could get taller / lighter legs, and a new head.

oh yeah, so on that note, keep in mind the height. Ideally without a center column, and with the legs extended, you should be able to look straight through the viewfinder without stooping over. On my setup I can stand up straight with the center column only slightly extended.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/479933-REG/Manfrotto_by_Bogen_Imaging_190XDB_190XDB_Tripod_Legs_Black_.html#specifications

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/479931-REG/Manfrotto_by_Bogen_Imaging_190XB_190XB_Tripod_Legs_Black_.html#specifications

I leaning towards the first set of tripod legs, however max height with the column down is about 4'. I could live with that ... I don't do a TON of shooting with the tripod ... when I take pictures of the fireworks, I bring a chair with me anyhow :)
I am not sure of the differences between the two though.

A_Lee said:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/479933-REG/Manfrotto_by_Bogen_Imaging_190XDB_190XDB_Tripod_Legs_Black_.html#specifications

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/479931-REG/Manfrotto_by_Bogen_Imaging_190XB_190XB_Tripod_Legs_Black_.html#specifications

I leaning towards the first set of tripod legs, however max height with the column down is about 4'. I could live with that ... I don't do a TON of shooting with the tripod ... when I take pictures of the fireworks, I bring a chair with me anyhow :)
I am not sure of the differences between the two though.

The real differences it looks like is the fact that the more expensive one you can flip the center column around, so that the camera sits between the legs, thus getting a REALLY low angle on stuff. Does that make sense? I'm not sure how to explain it. Think of the ball head mounted on the bottom of the center column, so that your camera is upside down. that gives you a super low angle on something like a flower.

I actually do that VERY often, for macros and cool perspectives on things. Macros on flowers that are really low is hard unless you can flip the center column or mount the ballhead upside down. Also think of taking a picture of like... a road somewhere, and you want to get really close to the ground to give a need perspective of being close to the ground. Say you're also doing a long exposure with car lights streaming by. The only way is to put your camera on the ground, or use the inverted position.

It also says it has leg "warmers," lol! That's not needed at all =P

Okay, you got me Art. I am going to go ahead, deal with the height, and go for the one with the reversible column :)
Are there any other ball heads you might recommend that are cheaper (in terms of price) than the Manfrotto one I linked earlier (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/272449-REG/Manfrotto_by_Bogen_Imaging_486RC2_486RC2_Compact_Ballhead_w_Rapid.html) that perform just as well for my needs, and my equipment?
Were you able to find out if the Manfrotto tripods have stability hooks?

Thanks Eileen! I just looked at those on BH, and I've got to say that you have expensive taste tripod heads! :D
I thought the Manfrotto $75 ball head was a kicker, haha :p

btw, I have a beat up (but fully functional) carbon fiber ball head (still a bit heavy) that can hold ridiculous amounts of weight. It's made by Feisol. I got it for about $150, but you can have it for $80. Heck, if you want to just borrow it for awhile until you find a ballhead you like, you can take it =) Just promise to keep shooting A LOT.

Let me know. It does creep a tad so not that great for macro work. Few ballheads are though.

Art!
I wish you had brought up the carbon fiber ball head earlier, haha :) I ordered my Manfrotto set-up two days ago :( Then again I do love macro work when I find the opportunity arises, so maybe a creeping head isn't the greatest option :)
Much thanks for ALL of your help so far, and your offer for the ball head though!! :D

Back