Jestersix

Hoping to borrow/rent a glass hole saw 1 3/4"

That's one inch and three quarters. Have a project and realized I don't have that size. I'm in the city, but can pick it up or bring the project to someone if that's more appealing. I need to drill one hole.

Will pay $10 or so.

Uhh, I have a hole saw for a 3/4" bulkhead, not sure what size it is off the top of my head (too cold/dark in the garage to go looking right now). If that's it, then I'm in sunnyvale.

Probably not the right size unfortunately. Needs to be 1and3/4". I have a couple sizes too but they won't work.

Appreciate the reply.

Well, Petco $1 per gallon sale... if it's still going.
That's the issue when drilling glass tanks. BTW what size tank is it?

Was a free 20G from Jim's collection of stuff.

To be honest I was going a bit more aggressively custom than I needed to in part because it wasn't the exact size I wanted, it was free, and already had a few scratches and chips. I've successfully cut notches in glass tanks using a dremel with a diamond bit, but this time I tried drilling three holes in the panel, which worked, though I got a small chip when the drill chuck hit the panel on the first one. Then I tried to use a glass cutter to cut out the hanging pieces. I got the first one out clean, but the second one I could tell I had a bad scratch because I pressed too hard and the line was all "chipped" looking instead of clean. Sure enough when I tried to break it, it cracked the panel to an edge chip instead of breaking along my marked line. Still learning...

It was definitely surprising to me that an edge chip halfway down the panel was the weak point versus my cut line. Glass cutting looks so damn easy when you watch the guy at cradle of the sun do it...

On the plus side now I have more glass scraps to practice on. I was running low. I am pretty sure I missed the perco sale which sucks, I was hoping to pick up a 20 long but when I went in a couple weeks ago after seeing it online there was no sale.

Also as a resource to anyone searching for a glass hole saw I came across these last night. Definitely cheaper than the other ones I've seen, I'll be ordering a full set I think:

http://www.glass-holes.com/Glass-Hole-Cutters_c7.htm

Man Gusty, I was thinking you needed a glass hole saw for a big bulkhead so I did not reply; I see the link you posted and the 1 3/4" is for 1" bulkheads right?
I do have one for bulkheads 3/4 and 1"
Do you still need a 20G tank? I may have one, still have to check the basement but a neighbor has one that was given to him and he's not using it; is plexi and is on the 27G size, being 24" but tall

I just bought a 20Long, and I think Aquatic Central drills holes so I'm headed there. The Petco sale was over, but oh well that just means I have to be careful with this one and not break it! Since it's a 20L this time I'l be doing an internal overflow and just need the one hole. Trying to get a fungia specific tank set up this week, nice and shallow...

Your hole saw might be the right size, but I already called AC and said I'm headed there after lunch. He wasn't sure he had the right size but I'm sure I can figure something out if I buy a new bulkhead. I need to order a full set of those saws from glass holes though, $65 is about the price of two small hole saws from Home Depot! Screaming deal in my opinion.

E-bay has them for cheap-er, I got mine from e-bay and drilled three or four holes with it, plenty of life left. I will get some other sizes, eventually.

Good luck !!

Woohoo! Tank has a hole in it, and it's the right size.

I also totally cheated.

Couldn't find an 1&3/4" diamond hole saw ANYWHERE I looked, and so I gave up. Went to Best Tile and bought a carbide hole saw for $14.00. Practiced on about 4 pieces of scrap glass and it worked, so I drilled the tank with it. For anyone who's ever wondered, I can clearly see why carbide is not recommended for glass drilling, it was MUCH more aggressive and I had to go MUCH slower to avoid chips. I still ended up with a messier hole than I have experienced with diamond saws. It's done though, so now I'm off to Tap Plastics to get a black background and maybe an overflow box if I'm lucky in the scrap bin.

Also, I feel it's important to mention that the hole saw had smaller "chunks" of carbide than any of the others I saw today, and I looked at a lot. I feel that this is important for a clean cut without chipping the glass. All the glass specific saws I have seen have a VERY diamond grit, and the carbide ones tend to be "chunkier" which could be detrimental when cutting glass. Aggressive bits equal a slower cut, because you have to be more careful.

Learning as I go but today has been fun.

Back