Jestersix

houser's hydroponic tray growout system

houser

Past President
Hey all,

First off thanks to all that make BAR possible. I'm really digging the club :)

Last November 2009 I set up a new system after a long hiatus. I've had a few setups in years past (few years on/few years off, repeat) so I'm pretty comfortable with how it all goes together. I have a loooonnnng term plan for a dream tank. A big one. But space in my current little house is at a premium. So in comes the garage. I almost started up with twin 80 gallon DIY tanks out there in 2006, but honestly with one newborn it was hectic. Since then we've added another one (remember the 2 little ones at the Jan BAR meeting?). Anyway enough was enough so time to get back into the game.

One thing in the last few years I really started considering was a system of shallow tanks for growout purposes. I was originally thinking of the traditional multiple tank setups with frag growout areas in the sump (hell I built it!) but creating a growout system right from the start would allow me to populate my future (larger) tank. I considered building a new set of shallow tanks but I had something perfect sitting there in my garage.

A hydroponic tray!

It was 4'x2'x7". Easy fit into my rack system. Easy to drill, UV stabilized, and pretty strong. I cleaned it out, plumbed it to my sump, and added water. Voila - instant setup in just 2 nights. After 4 yrs of dicking around just 3 hours of work. I think I had reorganized my damn equipment in boxes dozens of times in that span!

I have a single 250W MH (old-school 6500K Iwasaki) set slightly off-center over it. Plenty of photons! A single tunze sits in one corner and pulses away. I'm getting fantastic water movement and i've screwed around with the rockwork enough to channelize flow in some areas, make calm(er) spots in others. It really is quite dynamic. I think I've got about 65 gallons of water in the trough and sump. Not sure exactly. It's been very stable thermally and chemically, and despite the young age of the system what I've put in there is doing quite well. The stocking process was slightly accelerated once I won a little chalice piece at the December raffle. That was the first item in the tray!

There is only one thing I don't like about the hydro tray :( - detritus. I have some rocks in there and the detritus collects in the drainage channels. I siphon it out periodically. Nothing much I can do there. Other than that it's pretty cool. Only other weird thing is the tops of my rocks are fairly pale, but the shaded bottoms are fully coated in the traditional psychedelic shades of coralline. That is new growth, since when I set it up I put the existing coralline sides up and the plain bottoms down. Go figure!

Now I've got some acros, crazy shaped big birdsnest (thanks Sendo), a monti "frag" (freaking 5"x6" - thanks cookiejar), some stylo's, heliopora, some galaxea (old favorite) and one flaming green and yellow DBTC slimer. I've got a Q-tank running, and about 20 mangroves roughly one year old growing in sand but still FW.

Oh yeah the other thing I don't like about the tray is it's barely deep enough to handle the aforementioned monti so I'm already planning revision 2!!! Rev 2 will probably come online some time in April.

Big thanks to BAR and the cool people I've met so far. Although I still don't have much I'll bring some frags and am looking forward to the upcoming February swap.

Here you go...

(or if my intended embedded video did not work try)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfQKTdUlf6k

I've done hydroponic growing of freshwater plants before prior to reefs, so this thread is a nice throwback :-D Your video and comment on detritus made me think of the long flowing channel hydroponic setups (it looks like yours was originally an ebb-flow type). ...and then I thought of something really crazy....an acropora aeroponics setup. It is so crazy, it might just work! The gas exchange would be amazing!

yup that is exactly how you'd do it. Acro ebb-and-flow would be sick!!! Hell yes it would work!!!!!!!!!!!! Never even thought of it.

You know, I WILL do either (or both) ebb-flow or aeroponic acro when I move to my new place :-D I just have to know!!!!

So what exactly is a hydroponics tray that makes it differ from any other "tray"??

Are these meant to be filled with water? Didn't exactly look too thick.

How about "Ebb-n-Acro"? If I had enough sticks that like that sort of environment then I'd be crazy enough to try it.

The hydroponic tray is thermoformed ABS sheet. The design of the tray coupled with good thermoforming practice make it pretty strong. It is actually quite detailed on the inside but the main purpose is for drainage, and to keep the rockwool blocks up out of the nutrient solution and in the air. It's those channels that end up being detritus traps, or as I've found out, neat little tunnels for snails, etc.. to pass through under the rocks. There's actually a ton of flow in there, but it's circulation inside the tray, not a big flow into the sump.

I figured that since the hydro tray has UV-stabilized ABS, it wouldn't be prone to rapid degradation and cracking like many other plastics. I've been asked a few times about why not just use a sterilite container, etc... Leave it out in the sun and it turns into an eggshell waiting to explode.

If anyone knows of a featureless ABS tray then that would probably be the ultimate.

Just curious how you control the evap (as I would imagine with that much surface area it would be pretty large) as well as the temp.

Ha,Ha don't everybody panic just yet :glasses:

Between the tank and sump I only have about 14 square feet of surface area. Evaporation is not bad just over a gallon a day. Since I'm still lightly stocked I do a dilute Kalk drip each night to keep up.

Thermally I have 2 weapons - insulation and control. I have my sump wrapped with foam bottom, sides, back and top. I have a towel I drape over the front. The tank gets foam on the sides, and an oversize sheet of foam every night. My garage is dropping down to 60 each night, and I'm running the system at 77. I have a 250W heater in the tray, and a 300W heater in the sump. I'm currently running them off some Watlow stuff so it's rock steady.

Trying to modernize a little here first the youtube video now some actual pictures. I give you 3 early ones and the promise to take a bunch more here shortly.

First one is overview of initial system when rock was added in, and I was running a simple strip light. Check out the DIY sump :crown:

Hydrotankoverview.jpg

Second one is shortly thereafter when I put the MH over it.

HydrotankMH.jpg

Third one is fooling around with a friend's LED fixture a few months ago on my mangroves. You LED guys should like this one.

LEDMangroves.jpg

Just a word of caution.... those "UFO LED" lights cause plants to "run". Not a good thing with a tree as the node space between leaves will be immense.

For coral the absolutely stink.

What is a UFO light?

That light is deadly bright, although with no directional output it looses intensity very quickly according to my meter. And yes, not really the best grow light from what I understand. Didn't I see those LED colors on reefbuilders yesterday?

UFO was the first name they gave those when they first came out. It was/is a brand name.

GreshamH said:
Just a word of caution.... those "UFO LED" lights cause plants to "run". Not a good thing with a tree as the node space between leaves will be immense.

For coral the absolutely stink.

Use them only for flowering :D

Have you considered adding supplimental lighting; T5 or LED? Not sure if you're looking for growth or also some coloring up. I just purchased a 24" reefbrite and am curious how it compares to my T5, it might be a good option to help corals keep their color.

Bill,
Growth. Starting with frags. But have a 20K bulb that I might switch in for kicks.

MH is 12" over the tank, sub-optimum reflector, no different than anybody else growing stuff at the top of their tanks. I'm at about 900 umol for about 25% of the tray down to about 300 umol in the corners (where the chalice frags live).

I had considered a 175 watt, but for now a single 250 held high covers the system pretty well. And I already had 2 of em.

Back