High Tide Aquatics

How close is your tank to the wall behind it?

I've moved my tank several time with a large crowbar and a steel plate on the wall to spread out the force and avoid damage. However, my stand is solid wood, try it at your own risk. A 57g partially drained is about max for what I could do myself. I had to repaint my room due to mold a few months ago, and it's definitely more difficult to move it back to the wall than to move it away. Think leg press for the towards motion.

Remember, you aren't trying to LIFT at all. Slide it, and keep in mind the item you are sliding is top heavy. Apply your force at the very base, use smooth force not jerky motions, and a long lever can move a lot of weight. If you are concerned about damage to the stand, find some angle iron and place it at the contact point for your lever.

Also, if on a non carpeted floor, clean the area you are sliding the tank onto extremely well to avoid scratching. If the carpet is so deep that the tank has sunken into it, take a rubber mallet and a piece of thin plywood (1/4 to 3/8 has worked for me) lift the front lip of the tank with a prybar and stick a corner of the wood under the lip of the stand. It helps if you sand the edge smooth for this. Then hammer the plywood under the lip of the stand, and leave a few inches sticking out. You also only need to get a few inches under the stand. Your tank should then slide more easily on deep carpets, but you may need a friend to watch that the plywood skate doesn't slide under the tank.

During all of this, I recommend having a friend whose sole duty is ensuring the tank stays upright. Also, removing as much water as possible makes this much much easier. Go slow, and it's possible.

Back