Jestersix

How Do I Catch a Flame Angel

Any suggestions for netting / trapping a flame angel in a heavily stocked (corals and live rock) reef tank without tearing it down :quest:

I've tried catching it in the dark and placing food in a net to lure it, but no luck. If anyone has a trick please let me know, otherwise, it looks like I may have to tear things down (just after getting every thing glued down) Oh well. Thanks for your suggestions. :tired:

Thanks,
Joel
Reef Keeper

Update: 10/22/09

This is my design, based largely on Alhait's description of his Fish Trap. I've caught all my fish in this trap over the 7 days, including my B&W Ocellaris which has been nearly impossible until I built this trap. But, this Flame Angel is messing with me big time. :evil:

I'm still open to borrowing your fish trap NorthBay Reefer and any design improvements you folks might have. I've only been at it the past week, and I'm willing to be patient for another week or so before moving to Plan B. Thank you for your suggestions.

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_3843.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_3844.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_3845.JPG

I have a fish trap that I built out of acrylic with a feeding pvc tube and a sliding door, it works every time ... if you are close by I can let you borrow it.

northbay-reefer said:
... if you are close by I can let you borrow it.

I live in Montara, on the Coastside, between Pacifica and Half Moon Bay.

I'd be willing to travel some for a good solution.

Feel free to PM me with contact info.

Thx,
Joel

This is my design, based largely on aalhait's description of his Fish Trap H) . I've caught all my fish in this trap over the past 7 days, including my B&W Ocellaris which has been nearly impossible until I built this trap. But, this Flame Angel is messing with me big time. :evil:

I'm still open to borrowing your fish trap NorthBay-Reefer and any design improvements you folks might have. I've only been at it the past week (seems a lot longer than that), and I'm willing to be patient for another week or so before moving to Plan B. Thank you for your suggestions.

In the meantime, I'll just keep on pretending I'm deep sea fishing. :~

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_3843_0.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_3844_0.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_3845_0.JPG

Nope not what I described... Close... but no cigar.

PM me your #, so we can chat on the phone tomorrow.

I can either build it for you or you can enhance yours for better operation...

You can even make the entrance to the trap small enough only for the Angel to go in... I know since my Tangs are usually 1st ones in!

Also, you might want to place the Angel's fav type of food... Try getting Formula 1 Cubes and placing it in a netting or a plastic containers with holes. I have a tube with holes designed for this purpose.

It's a waiting game... remember to stay close (* but hidden) from sight... And when you see the Angel close to the door and thinking about entering. Smack the tank as hard as you can to scare the living lines out of his body! and you can be lucky enough he just swims right in!

My Trap does not fail... I get a Kritter Keeper:

http://www.petco.com/product/12031/Lee-s-Rectangle-Kritter-Keeper.aspx?CoreCat=FishFC_Tanks

Tie it in one end (Vertically). Place a Rock for Weight

Tie a rubber band around the Door Plastic Piece. Weigh the Door down with a Frag Peg. Tie a string to the Rubber band.

Drop the Trap down in the Reef (Keep it near the surface) Place a net with Brine in it... Or favorite food for the fish you want to catch... For Tangs... I place Sea weed.

Drop the trap so it's vertical and tie the string which keeps it in place to something... Pull the other string (tied to the rubber band on the door) and wait for the fish to come in... Note you might catch many fish and fish might come in and out... I let go of the door string when I have what I want... Otherwise, it's a waiting game!

If you want pictures... I can make a DIY post :)

BTW, I have a story... I had a Blue Tang which was TOO SMART! All fish would go in the trap except it! It would wait until fish brought crumbs out of the trap for it to eat it! It would do that for DAYS! I could never catch it!

One day... I waited and waiter until it got REALLY close to the door...

I jumped on the Tank, and Hit it REALLY hard! Enough to scare all living things in it! The SOF (Son of a Fish) got startled and swam right into the trap! It was a well timed event!

But you can imagine that my next door neighbors heard my Cheers!

that is exactly what I meant Did it go in yet?

PS... I forgot an important note... You need to starve the fish for a day or 2.

Make the only food they smell in 48 hours, the food in the trap!

This is what I made out of acrylic, the tube is for dropping food, and the fishing line on the door, when the fish come into to eat the food all you need to do is let go the string and the door will slide down. voila :D

aalhait said:
Make the only food they smell in 48 hours, the food in the trap!

Thank you for your suggestions and feed back. I haven't caught it yet, but the Clown and Tang have been in it several times so far. I haven't been feeding them for the past few days except for the food I have in the various traps I made and put in there (4 in the past 8 days). I'm wondering if I can feed the corals while I'm waiting. I feed Reef Nutrition Oyster Feast, Roti Feast and ELOS Zooplakton. I probably will skip feeding them today.

I'm curious about the feeding tube with holes you spoke about. Please advise when you have a chance.

Thx, :)
Reef Keeper

northbay-reefer said:
This is what I made out of acrylic

Nice concept, design, execution and diagram.

I may need to borrow yours it if this new fish catcher disappoints (I'm feeling slightly confident it will work). How far from the Coast Side are you? I may be able to reconstruct this diagram / design on my own, but Fosters and Smith has something similar for apx $40 if your are too far for it to make sense.

Thank you for reading and responding to my posts. :)

Reef Keeper

Back