High Tide Aquatics

How Do I Catch a Flame Angel

yardartist said:
I feel for you trying to get it out and not stir up everything or worst case move all the rock around.

You have that right :star: I really like this Angel; and for six months there weren't any problems. Last week, he picked clean my Fungia and was working on destroying my Rainbow Plate. It's been picking on stuff and possibly killed my Crocea too.

I don't want to harm it, so I'm being careful about taking it out. I read on Reef Central that I could squirt some carbonated soda water (seltzer) near it and it would anesthetize it temporarily, but I don't want to try it until I can be assured it wont harm the angel (lil devil).

In ay event, it's keeping me busy and I'm getting a lesson in patience. I think I'll get it out eventually. As you may have seen AJ and other Club Members have been supportive, and I'm letting my Higher Power take over from here (not the high voltage taser type)

In any event, I'll be happy when I can report a successful catch on this thread.

Thank you for following my post and chiming in too. :)

Happy Reefing,
Joel
Reef Keeper

blazedapurp said:
what r u going to be doing with the flame after u catch it? if ur looking to sell it let me know.

Sorry. Caught it today and traded with someone I made arrangements with a couple of weeks ago. If you have a reef tank, you don't want a flame angel in your reef tank. Take my word for it....

tuberider said:
Depth charge? It works for submarines :D

There was a short time, when I was nearly insane :evil: , that I actually was thinking along those lines, but could not stand to think about losing my other loved ones in the process. Now that I've regained my sanity, I'm glad I stuck to the basics. Thank you for following this thread and for the brilliant suggestions and good humor too.

Happy Reefing,
R.K.

Progress Update 11/01/09 - Day 18

GOOD NEWS.

Mission Accomplished.

Knowledge plus Patience equals Success. H)

Caught Flame Angel and traded him today for some corals (pictures to follow on my journal thread tomorrow)

Thanks to all who hung in there with me and gave me the moral support and trapping ideas I needed to get this beautiful devil out of my tank.

A very special shout out to AJ. THANK YOU MAN. I OWE YOU BIG TIME. :beer:

Now that this chapter is over, I have so much time on my hands that my wife and I can actually have a life again. Wow: Feels so liberating. Whoopee! :party:

I was able to free my clam and rainbow plate from their enclosures and now am ready for full polyp extension mode. :glasses:

I'm really going to miss my flame angel. Really. :(

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_3864.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_3868.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_3870_0.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_3872.JPG

Congrats!!!!!

Honestly if it was me... I would have fried the little sucker with a little lemon juice!

It almost feels good after that much trouble!

Even better yet! I would have had him as Sashimi!

That trap is fail safe! It's saved my butt many times!

I told you the last time I had to catch a hard to catch fish (my blue tang was the same way) weeks of patience!

Finally when I smacked the tank as he was nibbling at the door... He swam right in!

My entire neighborhood could hear my screams and needless to say... There was no football game on that day!

blazedapurp said:
...ill look for another one.

No Flame Angel is "Safe." Look for another fish or keep it away from all corals, if you don't want to throw your money away on corals and want others to trade their coral with you. Seriously: Don't give into temptation. You'll be sorry.

aalhait said:
Congrats!!!!!

...That trap is fail safe! It's saved my butt many times!

When you're right, you're right. H) I couldn't harm that fish. It was my own fault, I was willing to play the odds, but the cards were not in my favor.

I really enjoyed having the angel in the tank, but to keep corals and the likes, it's a losing proposition. I had that fish caught twice before and both times it slipped out. The third time (is the charm), the tang and angel went in, but I learned from the 2nd trapping that the weight on the door wasn't heavy enough to keep it shut when the tang pushed on it: Lesson learned. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me....

Anyway: Today was such a nice day. I went out for a three mile hike, on a new trail, with the family without having to divert my attention to this matter; it felt great.

Thanks for hanging in there with me, for finding and following my thread and the support you offered. Very much appreciated.

Happy Reefing,
R.K.

Back