Cali Kid Corals

how do I photograph LPS at night?

Holding a penlight up to the tank at night only yields this:
samplepicsmag632.jpg

and
samplepicsmag630post.jpg

What lighting choices do folks recommend for nighttime tank shots?
TIA-Jim

you can probably use that pen light to focus, lock the focus, and get rid of the pen light.

i've actually never tried taking pictures of my corals at night... very cool =)

I've had some half-way decent shots with led moonlights holding a steady light on the object along with a tripod (a given), and the white balance re-corrected. Although you absolutely can not have shimmer lines since your camera most likely will do a fairly long exposure.

Depends on how your camera is set up. Just shoot manually so that you can control exposure.

Might want to try some blue LEDs to bring out the flourescent colors in the corals if you're gonna try shooting at night.

Turn the lights on. You don't get much time, but you do get the shot.

Or, come over and I'll give you a light to use. :D

We need an underwater housing for a remote controlled flash unit. =)

Nikon's SB-600 and SB-800 can run in command mode, meaning they can be triggered remotely. Given some nice acrylic box fabricated from pieces from TAP plastics, you could probably float two flashes near the shot to get a perfectly lit coral.

[quote author=Thales link=topic=2343.msg23741#msg23741 date=1188257015]
Or just position them above the tank. :D
[/quote] well that would work too =P but like in instances where you want to "spotlight" your coral, I'd suggest placing the flash closer to the object, in cases of doing macro shots. Something like mimicking shooting a flower at night with a flash, having everything else black.

I guess it'd be hard if your coral is close to everything else =/ plus flash units are pretty denged powerful these days. Something to try I guess.

Back