Kessil

How do most of you guys battle cyanobacteria and other algae

I have gone through 2 bad cyano phases, the first one was within the first year of the tank getting set up. It took a week of chemiclean to get rid of it finally. Just recently it all came back, and my sand bed was completely brown. Chemiclean again, but this time it didn't work, and because of that I think it was diatoms. I was sick of the sand being dirty, so I bought a pair of diamondback gobies to keep it clean. They do a very good job, and the sand stays clean. My only complaint is that when they really go at it for more than a few hours the water gets kinda cloudy :( to prevent other algae from taking over, I have 2 long spine seaurchins and 3 tuxedo urchins. THis is all in my 180 gallon. I am very much the "oh theres a problem, I bet I can put something into the tank to take care of it" kind of guy lol. I find that most often there is a natural solution to problems related to reef tanks

I have something similar to your second setup. Drain to skimmer to return teed to fuge and I have 2x growth of chaeto and algae every 6-8 days.

Did you have the same light in all three setups?

Yes, I had the same light for a while on the second setup. It was a fluorescent bulb from HD. Then i changed the light bulb thinking that it got old. Still no growth, so I changed it with a different type. afterwards my hair algae problems got worse, then chaeto slowly died being out powered by the hair algae. A few times I cleaned the refugium then added fresh chaeto but it never grew. maybe it was because the hair algae ate all the nutrients much faster that the chaeto...

Cyano is found in ocean rock bed so I don't mind. It's in my large tanks among the rubbles. I use Chemipure in my nano and that pretty much solve the problem.

For cyano I had a big break in my old tank. I used chemiclean and after a few days it was clean again. This product is awesome just be sure to not over do it.

For alge just minimizing feeding, water changes, good clean up crew and decreasing light ours always worked.

Hello Guys,

I have my 55g tank setup for about 4 months now. I already have diatoms but it went away by itself. Now, I have Cyanobateria all over my tank. I am wondering

1. How do you guys battle cyanobacteria. I have seen many good looking tanks without cyanobacteria and I am wondering what are their secret.
2. What do you guys usually do to prevent other algae to taking over in your tank?

According my research most of the algae issue are caused by
1. over feeding
2. not enough flow
3. High phosphate
4. High Nitrate

I am not quite sure how to solve my over feeding issue. Since I have copperband in my tank, I like to make sure he has enough food to eat. He usually like split out 1/3 - 2/3 of the food so they end up everywhere. Is there anything I can do to solve this issue without reducing the amount of food I put in there?

I have two PP 8 that creating enough flow for the tank. I am planning get Bio-Pellet, GFO and carbon reactor to help me out with phosphate and Nitrate problems.

Any comments are welcome

Thank you!
Hi there. Maybe it's worth reading
this:

http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/vibrant-liquid-aquarium-cleaner-discussion-thread.271428/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back