Reef nutrition

How do they do it?

http://eashindustries.com/restaurant.html

How the heck they make it so shiny like that? I don't think the regular lacquer can do that. Anyone has any idea?

Check the rockler catalog. They have self leveling epoxy for bar top applications. It would be tough for you to do it on all surfaces of a stand though.

For me:
Make sure to get a specific high gloss finish, then wet sand, then pumice, then rottenstone.
For normal polyurethane, you need several layers, to build it up thick enough to be really flat.
Simple wet sand between layers.

I do read that Epoxy can do it in one shot, but bubbles and uniform thickness can be problematic.

People also claim to use rubbing alcohol to smooth out the last layer. Don't really know about that.

This may also be a poured resin that is then sanded / polished ... like the stuff you can get from TAP for embedding stuff in a clear cube. That used to be used for the surfaces of large tables made out of redwood burl or similar large pieces of natural material where a glossy, protective coat was desired.

Most hard clear coats can get that finish, but it takes lots of work.

First, you need to sand the finish so that it is perfectly flat. The higher the gloss in a finish, the easier imperfections show. No dimples, not waves.... FLAT.
Then you keep sanding with finer sand paper until you get to the point where you are polishing. You also need to put on every coat of your sealer with no dust or bubbles. Takes many coats to build up a good thick base. Thick coats don't work as well as you need the sealer to get hard and it needs to be even.
Search google go wood finishing and find a cabinet makers forum, like this one and there will be 10,000 different opinions on how to best achieve this.

FYI, it is a lot of work and takes skill and patience.

That stuff is pour on resin, it give you a very nice thick clear glossy finish

If you want a guitar like finish then it's laquer, wet sand 600-grits sand paper, laquer, wet sand 800-grits, laquer, wet sand ..... and after the last coat use a buffer.

OK I thought the other post was a double, guess it really was a triple!!

Back