Our mission

How do you feed thawed mysis without them just floating to the surface or sticking to tweezers?

OK, so how do you get thawed mysys from immediately floating to the surface of the tank? I want them to sink down towards a corals waiting mouth/tentacles.

Someone mentioned crushing them, but I'd rather not have to crush so many mysis. If you use tweezers to try and place an individual mysis near a coral's mouth, more than likely when you open the tweezers the stupid mysis is stuck to the tweezer.

Any hints?

V

instead of tweezers I use a turkey baster to target feed. You'll need to do it very slowly to make sure the coral is actually grabbing the food. Forgot to add.... that I also turn off the main pump, and reduce the circulation in the main tank to ensure proper feeding of the corals.

Agree. I also turn off all pumps and circulation but I feed my fish first and the food that gets circulated makes the corals open up or expose there feelers, then I turn off the pumps and use a turkey baster.

I let the "vacuum" of the vortech hold the mysis to the flow input. The rapidly flowing water rapidly defrosts and disperses the mysis. Once dissolved, I turn off the pumps.

Tweezer and turkey baster to stick them to the tentacles like Monzer suggests.

If I want to feed something that sinks, i use very small pellets.

Both Vortechs going...mysis into the water column. It keeps them in suspension very well; same w/small pellets like NLS.

Ibn said:
Both Vortechs going...mysis into the water column. It keeps them in suspension very well; same w/small pellets like NLS.

+1 but I don't use mysids :)

I pump feed through the main return pump. Disperses them quickly without any problems to my sump pumps. You can melt them first in warm tank water, drain them and turkey baste them in front of your return pump.

Yeah, many years ago I used one of those syringe/tube thingies. I ziptied the tip or the tube to a plastic chopstick for precision and feed freshwater daphnia through it. The mysys shrimp never worked through this cuz the shrimp would exit the tube then float up to the top!

Feeding to tentacles is fine, I was just thinking about my little fungia which has a mouth but very limited tentacle reach. Well OK, it's a half dead fungia with only one pie slice and a mouth still alive, which I'm hoping will recover with the benefit of some feeding.

I usually dump the food in from of my pumps too, but again the stupid mysis float straight to the top and down the overflow. Are you guys suggesting feeding the mysys INTO the pump to get chopped up?

V

PS. Thanks for all the tips!

Vincerama2 said:
... I usually dump the food in from of my pumps too, but again the stupid mysis float straight to the top and down the overflow. Are you guys suggesting feeding the mysys INTO the pump to get chopped up? ....

I've been finding that the food stays in solution longer as they are being blown around the tank. My critters seems to get hold them better. I still like baster feeding, but the pump feeding is working for me.

Back