Jestersix

How long is your photoperiod?

I'm NOT an expert, but I keep my total light time at about 9-10 hours for the "sunrise / sunset" lights and about 6 hours for the MH / primary lighting. No idea if that is right, just what I have always done. ;)

I think I have 6 hours or so with halides, then 10 hours with T5s...

If I was running LEDs, probably 6-7 hours with whites, then 12 with blues.

3 hrs on my single Kessil, then 4.5 on my halides, back to 2.5 on the led. I've shortened my halide duration a half hour recently but who knows???

Odd man out running plasmas, but I run a 90 minute ramp up sunrise, 9 hours on, then 90 minute dimming sunset- total 12 hours on time.

bumped up to 7 hours MH. Used to run at 5 hours when I also ran PC's before and after. Now its on for 7 and no longer.

I am running 4 tube T5 HO in two zones. Blue zone is on 8.5 hours a day and white zone is 6 hours through mid-day. This time of year (low sun angle) my tank gets mild afternoon sun which spurs algae growth so I cut back white light by 30 minutes. White light favours algae, blue light favours coral.

Mmmm plasma. Anything new in plasma? This reefbuilders post is the one everyone points to but it's now a couple of years old. Any reviews of plasma that celebrate or condemn it's performance for reef aquaria?

bondolo said:
I am running 4 tube T5 HO in two zones. Blue zone is on 8.5 hours a day and white zone is 6 hours through mid-day. This time of year (low sun angle) my tank gets mild afternoon sun which spurs algae growth so I cut back white light by 30 minutes. White light favours algae, blue light favours coral.

Mmmm plasma. Anything new in plasma? This reefbuilders post is the one everyone points to but it's now a couple of years old. Any reviews of plasma that celebrate or condemn it's performance for reef aquaria?

To chase this thread off topic - not much out there on plasmas in the media. Guess my build thread is the longest running celebration of plasmas for what that is worth (I know it needs some updates)! Not very many of us running plasmas - mine have been up for 18 months and I love 'em. Not much info out there, I'm thinking LEDs are using up most of the oxygen in the lighting world. I just set up a 100G frag tank with a single plasma and hope to document frag growth once it is settled in and running (just getting through the cycle right now).

newhobby said:
How long is your photoperiod?
How long is too long?
How long is too short?

Heh... I'm fine with my photoperiod, thank you :lol:

I run my actinics from 8am to 12 then PC's til 5 and actinics til 7. I'll run the LED's all night. They are very dim. Corals seem to be doing great

when I had a photoperiod:
11 hrs. for the blue/ actinic lights- mainly so I could see in the tank,
MH for 6.5 hrs, but each one coming on about 30 minutes apart.

5 x 48 inch XHO Reefbrites over my 90 gallon. 2 all blues from 10am to 10pm. 2 all whites and 1 50/50 on from 12pm to 830pm. Corals look great for the past 2 weeks. My corals like the new tank and lighting so far. :)

JRocha said:
5 x 48 inch XHO Reefbrites over my 90 gallon. 2 all blues from 10am to 10pm. 2 all whites and 1 50/50 on from 12pm to 830pm. Corals look great for the past 2 weeks. My corals like the new tank and lighting so far. :)
keep us posted on that.
I'm very curious to see how your corals do long term. :)
It would be cool to have 100% LED's some day.
I hope you get great results.

Ya me too. So far sps look great. Noticed some new growth on some so looks promising. I am taking plenty of pics. Will post on my tank build thread.

Back