High Tide Aquatics

How much are you spending on your tank

I just got back from the vet yesterday and my two dogs cost me $200 in shots and now one of them needs dental work with a bill of $1000. Cash is starting to get scarce with the a tank and baby girl. My tank uses 800w in lights and probably another 500w in misc equipment and I spend a ton of money on other items. I'm curious to see how much everyone spends on their tank monthly. Maybe if you I see bigger figures I won't feel so guilty about my spending.

If you don't think about the electrical usage, then it doesn't count. It's your refrigerator or tv that's making your PG&E bill go through the roof :D But yeah, I've tried to be somewhat conscious about electrical usage on my tanks, sticking with 2x250w electronic ballasts, thinking a lot about reducing lighting from 8-9 hours to 4-5 with t5s on other time (if I could only squeeze some reflectors over the tank that is!). Of course it's hard to make big changes, I got 2 tanks, one soft one hard corals, the soft tank I actually moved to metal halides with less time during the day, and ditched a couple T5s, and its using less energy.

But I think the idea to get away from, is if you actually add up all the electricity on your tank, you're scare yourself away from wanting to keep it :D

I'd say $50 a week.

I feel your pain I spent $6000 on my dog last August, after spending $1600 on my cat six months before that. At this point I'd love to have a larger tank, but there's no way right now I can afford it. Sure I could setup a sweet tank for super cheap, but realistically, it's the costs you don't expect that nickel and dime you to death.

BTW, you coming to the swap? I wanna talk to you.

water + salt + electricity...maybe $20/week, maybe less. My total electricity bill is on the order of $100 and spend <$10month on water and salt...a bucket lasts me a long time :)

..but then I go buy corals or new toys and that changes everything.

I've tracked my electricity and it can get up $90/ month in summer months, usually it's closer to $70/ month. As far as the rest; salt 15/ month, food 30, additives 10, so I'm well over $100 in non-livestock costs.

Back