got ethical husbandry?

how quickly can I go from freshmixed sw to waterchange?

I'm so sorry this happened. :( I can't imagine what it must look like, especially since we just saw your beautiful tank last Saturday. I recently lost all my fish but one when my heater broke. If you ever need more poly filters, I'm in San Ramon, or I can send them with my husband into the city. I always try to keep some on hand and just got a shipment today.

Mike, sorry to hear this happened!

You think it's heavy metals in the tank? Do you think the heater that broke had more than just steel in it? Maybe copper/bronze or something in the bimetal strip thermostat?

Or do you think the damage is from electrical shock (in which case the water changes will be effective for removing dead organics, but the damage is done?)

Seems like a lot of us having disasters lately!

Do you have access to a cannister filter full of carbon? Does anyone have one that lives near Mike?

Good luck bro! We'll reload you with frags when you're ready! This is what DBTC is for, right? The tank pics will help us determine what you need!

V

Lyn: thanks, I'll post a picture tomorrow what it looks like, the LPS look fine, it's just most of the SPS have seriously lost color, hell some of them lost all the color EXCEPT the polyps color which makes them look kind of cool :D Charles already dumped off a polyfilter with me, I'll just have to add these to the "must have sitting around" list if I pull through.

Vince: I'm unsure what exactly it was, going from what my AC3 said, there was a spike in pH for about half an hour (increased about 0.5) I'm guessing this is around when the event happened, but I can't figure out why it would go down so quickly though. I've accidently had a computer fan fall into the tank and the little copper circuitboard got green over a couple days and nothing like this. Hell I've had a heater break in a tank before but again nothing like this. Someone over at the SPS forum said could have been some oils in the heater *shrug*. However the fact that I saw the contact points of the heater firing when I yanked it out (stupid me I pulled it out first before unplugging it), may have something to do with why it all went down so quickly.

I don't have a canister filter, but the way my sump is arranged I get really good flow through certain areas, so I'm ok with that.

As to the frags, lets just see what happens, I'm not ready to throw in the towel on these corals just yet, and if they do go kaput... well I'll see what happens then on.

But hey the aiptasia are still going strong :D

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=6668.msg85989#msg85989 date=1236098213]
Poly Filters are used in dialysis machines and are extremely effective at pulling out toxins/metals/NH3 and a ton of other stuff.
[/quote]

Ill make a stop by dialysis tomorrow @ my lunch break..if they can get me anything from there, your welcome to all of it...

sorry to hear about your situation Mike...if your still looking for heaters, i might have a 250w stealth lying around somewhere....best thing is, there encased in plastic, so you can sleep at night without the "expensive" smell lingering

Alright took some pictures today of the damage. The most noticing thing is that the flesh seems to have seriously faded on all sps corals, however the polyps are still the same color, so this does lend hope. I did a 30g WC yesterday, I'm going to attempt an 80g WC today (I have two 30g cans ready, just making the last 20 in an old fish tank). Don't know how fast those polyfilter pads are supposed to work, but we'll see. Tested phosphates on a hunch, but that turned up nil as well.
However Rich has one of my Torts now, so hopefully it'll recover ok in his tank :D

Right side
p3040071.jpg

Left side, top of rock, most noticeably is Norm's "red" prostrada in the back next to the faded blue torts, strangely enough the sunset monti seems to have held its color though.. *knock on wood*
p3040075.jpg

Idaho grape, which while it does look nice in that pastel purple, isn't what I want at all, Palmer blue mille off on the far left, pastel blue mille doesn't have quite the ring. Between those two is a "red" millepora.
p3040078.jpg

Another shot similar area
p3040079.jpg

My super bright green acro that would burn your retinas if you looked at it too long, good example of the polyps still being colorful but the flesh is not.
p3040080.jpg

Poccilipora seem to be fine though, wonder if they are, or if it's the fact what you see is almost all polyp
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/6243/p3040081.jpg[img]

Leng Sy and Pink Jade
[img]http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/8982/p3040082.jpg

Rusty red millepora and cali tort
p3040096bz0.jpg

Lovely orange cap with idaho grape, notice brain is fine.
p3040100ec8.jpg

Don't even remember what color these were
p3040097tl6.jpg

Green slimer for christ sakes!
p3040098hy5.jpg

Some red planet look-a-like before ORA named it the Red Planet, blue mille, and other acro, along with the poccilipora the stylophoras seem unaffected.
p3040099ka4.jpg

Geeze man.... just lookin at the pics has me stressed out. You think they'll let me leave work to go home and check up on my corals? ;) Starting to think that a live cam to hook up to my RKE so that I can view tank from work is not an insane idea anymore ;D I hope everything pulls through for you man!

Well I left work on Tuesday early, went something like this "Yeah I have a minor household emergency, so for today's class we'll do a test review, then you can go early". I don't need to tell no one when I'm leaving damnit! :D

We'll see, as they say (who's they??) bad things happen quickly, the road to recovery takes time.

I think you caught things just in time. You tank looks similar to how mine did after my battery acid mishap. It recovered quickly, it only took a few weeks. I bet your tank will recover quickly.

[quote author=iani link=topic=6668.msg86337#msg86337 date=1236202137]
I think you caught things just in time. You tank looks similar to how mine did after my battery acid mishap. It recovered quickly, it only took a few weeks. I bet your tank will recover quickly.
[/quote]

I agree, I think you'll be surprised at how quickly everything will bounce back.

[/quote]
Did you happen to reduce the photoperiod at all? Or am I just being overly jumpy in bringing the halides essentially off line until they color up a bit more.

On another note, when the hell did canister filters get so bloody expensive? It's basically a piece of plastic holding plastic crates with a very low power pump inside right? Makes me wish I didn't toss that Fluval405 that was very touchy!

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=6668.msg86426#msg86426 date=1236216010]
[/quote]
Did you happen to reduce the photoperiod at all? Or am I just being overly jumpy in bringing the halides essentially off line until they color up a bit more.

[/quote]

I didn't turn down my photoperiod at all.

Phong, basically you can "actively" run carbon as opposed to passively. For the polyfilter pads its not a big deal I tossed it in my overflow so that essentially the entire turnover of tank water passes through it, carbon however in a sump doesn't force water through it as much. At least that's what I was told some time back :D

Ok, so cuprizorb and polyfilter have been running for a couple days now, the cuprizorb hasn't changed colors at all giving an indication that there were no heavy metals/copper in the tank (supposed to turn dark blue). The polyfilter simply went from white to green to brown, now it's dark brown pushing black which according to the instructions is a sign of organics being sucked up, so should replace it soon, although they say you can recharge them with muratic acid(??) don't have any handy, so I'll just get some new ones when I can.

Mike, glad to see that so far you haven't lost any corals except the color. Hopefully they will all make it and color up soon again.

I have a brand new Two Little Fishies phosban reactor 150 you can use for your carbon if you want so you don't have to buy a canister filter.

Yeah, until algae grows on them, I'm not going to consider any coral lost :)

As to the filter, I have a kent phophate filter, just need to reglue the plastic tubes that go into it, and was working on freaked out time the other day (because if I waited another hour before getting carbon in there's no way it would work in time ;)).

Back