Our mission

how quickly can I go from freshmixed sw to waterchange?

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=6668.msg86571#msg86571 date=1236281116]
Yeah, until algae grows on them, I'm not going to consider any coral lost :)
[/quote]

Hell ya! That's what I'm talking about!

I do see a bit of brown diatom growth on the edges of the big orange/pink cap so that is a worry... but then again it's a fricking cap... it'll most likely outgrow everything if I replace it with a sliver of a frag :D

I have a thumbnail size frag of idaho grape that is now 10x the size of the recovered spec I started with from when it nearly died in entirely lol

If you need to replace or get one more reactor..
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=290e6653993d37ea0fd1c378c66e08ee&threadid=1580502

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=6668.msg86113#msg86113 date=1236130743]
Lyn: thanks, I'll post a picture tomorrow what it looks like, the LPS look fine, it's just most of the SPS have seriously lost color, hell some of them lost all the color EXCEPT the polyps color which makes them look kind of cool :D Charles already dumped off a polyfilter with me, I'll just have to add these to the "must have sitting around" list if I pull through.

Vince: I'm unsure what exactly it was, going from what my AC3 said, there was a spike in pH for about half an hour (increased about 0.5) I'm guessing this is around when the event happened, but I can't figure out why it would go down so quickly though. I've accidently had a computer fan fall into the tank and the little copper circuitboard got green over a couple days and nothing like this. Hell I've had a heater break in a tank before but again nothing like this. Someone over at the SPS forum said could have been some oils in the heater *shrug*. However the fact that I saw the contact points of the heater firing when I yanked it out (stupid me I pulled it out first before unplugging it), may have something to do with why it all went down so quickly.

I don't have a canister filter, but the way my sump is arranged I get really good flow through certain areas, so I'm ok with that.

As to the frags, lets just see what happens, I'm not ready to throw in the towel on these corals just yet, and if they do go kaput... well I'll see what happens then on.

But hey the aiptasia are still going strong :D

[/quote]

Based on this post it seems as though the problem could have been avoided by having a GFCI outlet. If you do have one then it is installed wrong or it is not working properly.
For a few frags I will gladly come over and install one for you.
I have 10 separate GFCI outlets on my system. If one trips because of a bad component it will not take down the whole system.

No it was not, but honestly that may not have saved things. GFCI will only trip if there is less current coming in than going out, if it was simply arcing across the probes, it's completing the circuit, granted in an off way, I've seen power strips arc due to a moisture and not trip the GFCI.

Everything runs (or should run) through the controller, or on a DJ power strip, last thing I want is a GFCI popping, turning off all the power to either of those devices, and then I don't notice until morning that the tank has gone quiet (and most likely dead). GFCIs are mostly for human protection that to protect from something going wrong.

Anyways the tank I think has stabilized although all the corals are still faded, I only really see 1 coral that is completely white and might not pull through, although I do have some diatoms that seem to be growing on some corals "in the flow" I'm wondering if my tank didn't get a minicycle to it or something. I turkey baste off as much as I can, but we'll see what happens.

I hope things come back strong for you. What a hassle.
I'm kinda afraid to trust the aquacontroller... What if it blows a gasket.
Mine is backed up with a 9v battery. One time we had a power failure. No big deal. I have a battery back up for the basic systems. By the time the power came back on the 9v battery for the aquacontroller had gone dead and the controller stopped working properly. I then realized that the heaters we ON because of that.
I decided to divide things up after that.
I use it for the more complicated stuff like "if the PH is 7.9 then turn of the CA reactor dammit"
every thing else is in a timer or thermostat or is a pump. Each system has its own GFCI.
;D

I hear you, it's a matter of what I want to put faith in. For me (and I've had it happen before) what if the thermostat on my heater blows a gasket and it keeps trying to heat? For my titanium heater it's controller is the on-off switch, and the aquacontroller is used as a backup if the temp gets TOO high (i.e. it accidentally stays on). For the heater that broke, ideally the AC was supposed to be the on off switch, with the thermostat inthe heater being the failsafe. Unfortunately my double redundancy failed when sometime ago I removed the plug from the aquacontroller and plugged it into a strip (still trying to figure out why I did that in the first place), and second when I guess I moved wires in an effort to make things a bit "neater" and it partially came out of the water, so it thought the temp was that of the ambient air temp so stayed on until the glass got hot enough to fracture.

Ok here it is almost 3 weeks have passed, very similar pictures so you can get the idea of what's going on. Lost one acro as algae is growing between the branches, a few tips got diatoms on them that killed the tissue, but also had a couple vortech problems which caused me to rearrange the flow, and one thing I've seen of grown in tanks, is corals grow to the flow you have them at, so if you change the flow you'll get deadspots.

p3240139.jpg

p3240141.jpg

p3240143.jpg

p3240144.jpg

rc1j.jpg

rc2.jpg

rc3p.jpg

rc4.jpg

gsl.jpg

Everything looks awesome compared to the initial death sequence!

Feels good to dodge a bullet huh? Good job man, you kept a level head and consulted good ol' BAR worked hard and made things happen, hell yeah!

Yeah feels good to dodge a bullet, but on the other hand I was never really thinking about rebuilding but more along the lines of all the vacations I could go on now without worrying about a tank.... then it had to go and color up on me and ruin that plan.

Back