Our mission

how to clean old dry rock

JRocha

Supporting Member
i have a large amount of dry rock and its dirty as hell. I wanna know if anybody has a good way to clean it with little effort as I work a lot and can't scrub it. I need as I am downsizing my 240 gallon for a 90 gallon :( any suggestions are welcomed.

Soak it in RO water overnight and shake vigorously the next day in another tub with clean RO water would get you started, then cycle it for a week or two and repeat.

I believe I read that I can soak in muriac acid and then soak them in RO after, but I don't know if it will work or will it cause problems.

You could use dilute muriatic acid in a 5 gallon bucket, put on glasses, gloves, etc... and give the rocks a quick dip. Definitely will take off the surface layer of calcium carbonate. Pull em and put into another bucket with fresh water. Then neutralize acid with baking soda when you're done. Rinse acid soaked rocks well with a hose.

It works! Longer the rocks are in the bath the more they change shape. Add acid to water!!!!! Acid available from home depot, pool store, or the like.

Back