Cali Kid Corals

How to move a mushroom?

Not sure if this is the best place to post this question.

I've got a shroom that decided to move next to a zoo colony while back. Well, this shroom is getting bigger and it's covering the zoo colony. I'd like move this shroom somewhere else or possibly putting it into the frag swap.

What's the best way safely removing the shroom from the LR?

Forgot to mention that the zoo colony has grown around the base of the shroom.

Get good nail clippers or a very sharp blade and just cut it off base. Do it fast - otherwise it shrinks very fast.
The problem is that new one will grow on the same place.

Having fragged many mushrooms, my advice would be different.

If you can take the rock out of the tank, the mushroom will shrink much smaller. Then you can carefully dig and cut around the base. Your goal is to dig under the base of the mushroom and pop it off with a bit of live rock attached.

If you have a good sharp knife (like an Exacto), it's pretty easy to do. If you harm a few zoos, don't worry. They'll grow back.

If you can't take the rock out, the process is still the same, it's just harder to do.

Best of luck,

Roy

use a stainless bone cutter and cut part of the rock off at the base of the shrooms is the best IMO. Make sir to take the rock out of the water and hang it upside down for a little while, the mushrooms will shrink and hang down which will make it easier to cut at the base

I too just use bone cutters and carefully "cut" the mushroom off of the rock. If you do it right, there is a very thin layer of rock on the base and you can then just superglue the rock to rock.

Back