how to pay for membership dues?

Discussion in 'General Club Business' started by JAR, Jan 5, 2014.

1. JAR

JAR Supporting Member

i need to renew. please remind me how.
    thank you

2. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

Click on your name in upper right, and hit "Personal Details."
    Then look down on the left and hit "Account upgrade"
    Should bring up supporting membership page.

3. aqua-nut

aqua-nut Supporting Member

Jon, good reminder. I just noticed my status changed! Wonder how I sent a PM an hour ago?

Off to pay up!

4. JAR

JAR Supporting Member

Done. :)
    Not totally straight forward. A big flashing
    "MEMBERSHIP DOWNGRADED"
    "CLIC HERE TO PAY NOW"
    button would make it easier for lazy bums like me that don't want to weed through all the potential links that might allow me to pay my dues :)
    Thanks Rygh!

5. FeliciaLynn

FeliciaLynn Supporting Member

Sorry that its a bit difficult to find! We've got people hard at work on creating a homepage for the site and hopefully we can include a nice big button on the homepage to pay for membership. :)

6. JAR

JAR Supporting Member

I have it on autopay now:)

7. aqua-nut

Me too! Amazing it became an autopay automatically. Now my contribution will be like the house in the Bradbury story 'There Will Come Soft Rains'. ;)

It was easy after I read and actually FOLLOWED Mark's instructions.

8. denzil

denzil Webmaster

9. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

Need an alert for this that always displays somewhere. Had no idea that I had to renew.

10. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Out of curiosity did I do it all too quickly without reading, in which case you'll get my first born son, or was there an option to not have a recurring payment? While some might be happy that it will happen automatically, I'm not pleased that it was set that way by default.

iCon likes this.
  11. Marc

Marc Guest

I just paid for membership recently and got the recurring payment notice as well. You have you undo it through PayPal I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

Completely agree... That's a little slimy if you ask me. (Granted I probably didn't read as closely as sfsu as I just trusted it was a normal PayPal donation type transaction) Took me a few minutes to locate and disable the auto-pay function. I didn't even know PayPal could do that...Eeesh!

The correct way is to have a notification display on the user's account stating that they're inactive/non-paying to date. This can display as a permanent alert, overlay/popup message upon login, banner in the header bar or whatever.

o_O

13. Marc

Marc Guest

Maybe just a default setting that got over looked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. JAR

JAR Supporting Member

What did you expect?
    Coral is slimy business:cool::D

15. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

I don't think I'd go far as to say it's slimy... although Jon's response is witty :D It probably was someone thinking it would be a useful thing and they went forward with it. Many people set up auto-bill pay so they don't have to deal writing a check (or going through online pay means), I only use auto-bill pay for something that I absolutely can't live with out (and doesn't change in price) like my internet bill, other things credit card, water, power, I like to see the cost, while the cost of BAR doesn't change 1 year is a long time between payments so who knows what will happen in a year, I might move, I might get out of the hobby, I mean finally get upset that I always get a late picking group for frag swaps and never come back.

16. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

I'm sure the intent wasn't 'slimy'... But being automatically enrolled for an autopay feature via PayPal without the option to opt-out during the process is slimy for a user. If there was an opportunity to opt-out in advance, I completely missed it because I'm too lazy to read the fine print of an organization that I'm familiar with. Autopay/billpay is great when I'm the one to initiate it... Imagine if Comcast automatically enrolled you for autopay.. Eesh! ;)

17. aqua-nut

I was miffed about autopay for a second or two. Now I don't have to remember to renew (hard thing). If I decide to not be a member it's easy to remember to cancel the autopay.

18. I am glad you clarified the context of the term slimy, however please exercise some discretion in choice of words. Our Webmaster works hard to implement new features and doesn't get paid for any of the work. The only currency is a little gratitude from the members now and then, and when you make a remark like that, it is a huge de-motivator. I am sure your intention is to ask for improvement, however it comes across as harsh and I know you can do better than that. It would be like if you volunteered your time at a soup kitchen and one of the patrons started telling other folks there that they saw you put a side of beef in your own car, when in reality you were using your own car and gas to go exchange a rancid slab of beef for a fresh one. Don't punish a good deed.

Granted the creation of an automatic PayPal payment profile isn't what I had expected as part of the implementation for the automated membership renewal system, though it's important to recognize that:
    a. The profile can be canceled at any time.
    b. If you should accidentally remit membership dues as a result of the payment profile and do not wish to remain a member, the Treasury will gladly provide a refund.

Your point is taken, though, and improvements will be continued.

19. denzil

denzil Webmaster

Alright, I made an adjustment to the feature setting so that it's not a recurring payment anymore. Also, this is a good test for those of you who do and don't read what you're paying for (it actually describes this subscription behavior in the "How do I become a Supporting Member?" thread). ;)

In any case, I've made the adjustment and updated the thread. Enjoy!

20. aqua-nut

So Denzil, for those of us that were set up as reoccurring, are we still?