Kessil

How to remove water marks on glass...

I'm trying to remove water marks from a glass tank; have tried CLR, vinegar/water, baking soda/lemon juice
and today Bar Keepers Friend/oxalic acid. Still, water marks are there.
I know there's no miracle solution and requires elbow grease but any other ways to get rid of such marks?
Tank was a freshwater; removed some build-up with razor blades, still looks like a glass shower door.

Thanks

I'll try straight vinegar. I just need three sides to be eye appealing since the back, well, is just the back; probably will spray paint black after drilling or cutting.

muriatic acid is also available at Lowes, the good stuff, not that "green" stuff that home depot sells.

That said, if vinegar didn't even make it fizz I doubt muriatic acid will do anything since it's the same process just way faster.

muriatic acid is also available at Lowes, the good stuff, not that "green" stuff that home depot sells.

That said, if vinegar didn't even make it fizz I doubt muriatic acid will do anything since it's the same process just way faster.

I checked HD for the acid but since it is considered a hazardous material, were removed by the staff or so I was informed. Went to Lowe's and could not see it so I went home...

I had to use cerium oxide from ebay to remove haziness on my IM 20 tank. Hours of polishing with power drill did the work.

Tried all kinds of chemicals mentioned in this thread, including muriatic acid with no help.

I checked HD for the acid but since it is considered a hazardous material, were removed by the staff or so I was informed. Went to Lowe's and could not see it so I went home...

Storage conditions are such that it cannot be shelved/stored on the retail floor. They should keep it in the back in specialized storage.

If the "water spots" are actually etched into the glass you will have to polish them out. Years and years ago I had a tank that that happened to. You could tell under magnification. It was a small tank, so I ended up just getting rid of the tank.

Yeah that's a HD employee who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. At Lowes you will want to go to I want to say the paint section, it's near where they have all the various types of rubber gloves and what not, more likely than not on the bottom shelf. Hell if you go to their website they even have a map to show you exactly where it is in the store!

What condition in the aquarium could cause the etching of the glass?

...If the "water spots" are actually etched into the glass you will have to polish them out. Years and years ago I had a tank that that happened to. You could tell under magnification. It was a small tank, so I ended up just getting rid of the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tank was a freshwater system, judging by the sedimental water marks, I'd say it was left to slowly empty by means of evaporation.
HD site also showed me the exact place it was supposed to be, high on a shelf, away from young hands.
I think I'll try the polishing cerium oxide thing next.

Back