Our mission

How to Seal Lighting Controller?

MolaMola

Supporting Member
Upgraded to LED lighting on 2 Biocubes and now have open drivers/controllers and a big power supply. Need to protect them from water and am looking for simple solutions. I am worried whatever I use will not keep all moisture out and will trap it inside. I have not been able to find online what people do. Seal controller in a random plastic box with lid that can open?

I would not box them up, for the same concern you cited (collecting moisture).

If controllers and power bricks are hung high up and cords have a drip loop, I myself would not be concerned.

So where exactly are the electronics located?
In sump, nearby, what?

If you seal them up, they will likely overheat, so don't do that.
You definitely want to avoid salt spray. That will kill unsealed electronics fast.
A bit of humidity is not a big deal.

If you can keep the electronics outside the sump area, and protected from spills, you are fine.

Ditto on Mark's question. If they're just sitting on the side and you're worried about water splashing, you can just pick up a BlueLounge cable box or equivalent, such as this:.

cablebox2_large.jpg

Can't tell from the pic there, but there's about 1" of clearance from where the cords enter the box on each end. That's a lot of standing water for salt creep to be noticeable.

Back