Neptune Aquatics

how well will LPS encrust acrylic?

So anyone have any idea how well acans, micros, chalices etc will grow/encrust on acrylic? Since I'm without a nice big saw to frag thicker pieces of rock (limited to my dremel) I was wondering if there would be any downfalls to trying to get frags to grow on thin pieces of acrylic to facilitate fragging. It wouldn't be my MC, just a frag for growout & future fraggin purposes.

Dunno. I haven't been all that thrilled with how well sps stick to smooth acrylic in the past, but maybe LPS would be different, or hitting the acrylic with some sandpaper would help. I've got a bunch of ~3/4" acrylic circles if you wanna pick up a couple to try out?

Not a bad idea, it should work fine for that purpose. However, I would take up Jess's suggestion and hit it with some course grit sand paper.

I've been using acrylic for coral plugs for over 5 years and just about everything given time will encrust beyond you being able to simply remove it. In fact I cut back on using those plugs as I got tired of having all my frags cemented to the rack :lol: I never score or rough them up, just smooth as when they are molded.

I used to grow Zoa frags on acrylic. It was great since fragging was soooo easy, just peel it off and cur with a sharp exacto knife.

Hah, sorry if you read it wrong guys. I have no intention of taking the LPS off the acrylic, simply as using as a grow-out platter. Once grown out and both coral/acrylic cut, I plan to just sand/cut away majority of acrylic & epoxy or glue on to some rubble for trade/sell/give whathaveyou

Way back when all my lepastrea were glued to the bottom of the tank and they encrusted out just fine however it looked like a puddle of goo rather than the textured shape that rocks tend to have. Removing them wasn't too hard however some did require a flat head screwdriver to pry them up.

Back