Cali Kid Corals

How would you like to help set up a 20,000 Gallon Tank?

The equipment from the California Academy of Sciences location on Howard Street will be going to the Romberg Center in Tiburon http://rtc.sfsu.edu/

Best of all, they are going to be setting up a 20,000 gallon display tank.

If you would like to help with this project, please let me know via PM or email racrumrine@yahoo.com

This thread has lots of pictures of what the place looks like http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?PHPSESSID=adhgshadedj9uodt0f8go77t53&topic=3771.0

We could monitor the progress of the installation on the Members Tank Journals area.

Regards,

Roy

Yanno Roy, I don't think three separate threads were necessary, especially since there's a "show unread posts" feature, it's not quite like RC where you have to click through each of the forums to see posts.

As far as the tank, do you know if it's going to be reef related? One thing I absolutely would have loved to grab from the Howard Street Steinhart was that horseshoe shaped touch pool. Would have made a very nice tank :D

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=4184.msg50206#msg50206 date=1217199074]
One thing I absolutely would have loved to grab from the Howard Street Steinhart was that horseshoe shaped touch pool. Would have made a very nice tank :D

[/quote]

We're still using that!

AFAIK, we'll be using almost everything at Howard until the beginning of the year, but plans do change.

DOH! Surely there could be some super state of the art (aka really expensive) touch pool that you guys would rather have :D

Another thing I was curious about I thought that 20k gallon tank was not a whole tank, but was in fact supported by the elevator shaft it was built into, surely that whole shaft isn't moving is it?

Yep Mike, but I'll see if anyone knows what Roy is talking about on Tuesday.

We're using all of Howard for QT and holding right now, including the touch pool, and it looks like that will be going on for a while. I believe at the park there will be a super state of the are touch pool - with a disco ball and hot wings for the kids. :D

The last time we talked about it, the 20k was going to lose one of the lower bubble window in order to get everything out. :D

A disco ball!? WOW! Ok I was already going to buy a yearly membership pass for the place (well unless I happened to find a job there, but their space sciences never have job noticed *frown*) but that disco ball just made my day, as long as I can get some hot wings too :D

A lizard and a dragon fly is the closest mascot I could find on the site :(

I think a copepod would make a fascinating mascot :D

Hi All,

Since I work at RTC, and I'm involved in setting up display tanks (my 120G coral tank is going to be set up again in the very near future, and a 210G tank that will probably be a seagrass or wharf piling display), I figure that I ought to have heard about a huge tank coming from the Steinhart...But, I have not! Anyone able to fill me in on the details?

Jonathon

online.sfsu.edu/~stillmaj

Hey Jonathon!

Hows stuff! I still have your brain! I can deliver it in October after the Steinhart opening if you like. :D

[quote author=Crabby link=topic=4184.msg50255#msg50255 date=1217220440]
Hi All,

Since I work at RTC, and I'm involved in setting up display tanks (my 120G coral tank is going to be set up again in the very near future, and a 210G tank that will probably be a seagrass or wharf piling display), I figure that I ought to have heard about a huge tank coming from the Steinhart...But, I have not! Anyone able to fill me in on the details?

Jonathon

online.sfsu.edu/~stillmaj
[/quote]

Good to see you on here Jonathon :D When you find out any details please let us know.

Roy, you sure your email is correct?

"you can have my axe"

no, seriously, if you guys need help let me know, I'm pretty jaded with my grad studies right now and could use some time away from the lab (I'm seriously thinking of moving towards marine biology).

anyways, I'm one of those "big" guys that gets tricked into moving heavy things for his friends with a six pack of beer. I also have a toyota truck that can move equipment supplies easy.

Cheers,

Josh

I'm working on figuring out what we know about this...and will keep the forum posted. For sure, we need more display tanks at RTC, and we also need the knowledge base of BAR to make them look nice.

Hi Jonathon,

You never got back to me if you still need help to order that sand you wanted. Hope things are well.

Hi Arnold,

Setting up the big tank is on hold, so the sand is on hold too...But, if we do find ourselves setting up a 20K gallon tank, we'll need A LOT of it!!

Jonathon

Here are a couple bad pics of the 20000 gallon tank it took with my phone today. Its mostly made of cast concrete, like 1.5 feet thick, so I don't see any way it could be moved. Perhaps getting the acrylic panels and making a new one is possible.

Roy, who told you it was going to RTC?

Back