got ethical husbandry?

Hybrid Clams

This came up during the tank tour. May have been Arnold? Just saw the distribution email from AG, and was just curious about them. Has anyone taken a look?

I have two of them. No idea if they are really hybrids or not. They do look like a mix and I like he colors and patterns.

Here is mine that I got back from OT a long time ago. It has since fallen victim to pinched mantle desease. I was told by some clam expert people that they are not really hybrids. Not sure though.
CroceaMaximahybrid2copy.jpg

Yes...the crocea/maxima. I'm sure they're not hybrids. Just wondering if some of them looked nice. The pic from AG clearly looks like a crocea.

[quote author=iani link=topic=6679.msg86162#msg86162 date=1236143859]
Here is mine that I got back from OT a long time ago. It has since fallen victim to pinched mantle desease. I was told by some clam expert people that they are not really hybrids. Not sure though.
CroceaMaximahybrid2copy.jpg

[/quote]

Nice! A FW bath should clear it up. 15-20 minutes.

You have to do it on a weekly basis until it's cleared. One of my large maximas took 4 dips over a one month period before it beat it. I also dipped the clams that didn't show signs of PM.

Those were my clams I ordered :-[ They went to the wrong store! :-[

Oh well more next week. ;)

I found this article on Identifying clams. It may shed some light or not. Just some interesting info.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-07/jf/feature/index.php

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=6679.msg86165#msg86165 date=1236143951]
I think everyone should pay $1000 for each clam that they see listed as a hybrid, CITES don't care.
[/quote]

Explain why you think that is true? I've been curious as to why people think that other then the exporter stating it. The genus didn't change when being hybridized, just the species. If you crossed two different acros you still have an acro and CITES still wants a permit for it :D

I think your correct Gresham that the acro will stay an acro but just the species will change. If people are wondering about price and if they think are just paying for a nicer Maxima then if you do like it buy it. If you do not like it and thinks its just a marketing gimmick then do not buy it.

I like what Rich said to me at the store the other day when he picked up his clams. He said regardless of the label "hybrid" if you like the clam and you are willing to pay for it, then get it ;)

Maybe I should call them SUPER DUPER ULTRA SPECIAL SUPERCALIFRAGALISTICEXPOALLODOCIUS CLAMS! :D :D :D

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=6679.msg86236#msg86236 date=1236155772]
[quote author=tuberider link=topic=6679.msg86165#msg86165 date=1236143951]
I think everyone should pay $1000 for each clam that they see listed as a hybrid, CITES don't care.
[/quote]

Explain why you think that is true? I've been curious as to why people think that other then the exporter stating it. The genus didn't change when being hybridized, just the species. If you crossed two different acros you still have an acro and CITES still wants a permit for it :D
[/quote]

I think it was a joke :D

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=6679.msg86271#msg86271 date=1236185271]
man...all you people have clams...I feel so left out![/quote]
I second that!..... I have a some filter clams does that count? :)

[quote author=Ocean Treasures Aquarium link=topic=6679.msg86237#msg86237 date=1236158819]
He said regardless of the label "hybrid" if you like the clam and you are willing to pay for it, then get it
[/quote]

I agree there :)

Not hybrids so probably not relevant to this thread :p

Easy one though but I'll watch and see what others say first :D (can't wait for the pics)

Back