Cali Kid Corals

Hydrogen Peroxide Dosing

Nav

Some of you might know from my recent posts, I'm battling very early stage Dino, GHA & Bryopsis!

I came across dosing HP for rid Dino and after further research, I found a lot of people with success, yes even in a reef tank.

The suggested dosing is 3% Hydrogen Peroxide - 1ml per 10gal daily for 5 days.

I'm moving some of my expensive frags to Alfred's tank this weekend & thinking to give this a try, so wanted to get some opinions...

This is my plan: 4ml daily (40gal) for 5 days, first 2 days I'll cut down light cycle to 4hrs and then last 3 days do a full blackout, followed by a 37% water change (15gal)

This is the solution I'm planning to get http://bit.ly/15JnRv8

Sounds a little crazy. If you have all those things growing something is not right.
Agreed. Good params, religious husbandry... I still can't diagnose it :(

Dino, GHA & Bryopsis are very sparse (really not seen unless you see real close), but I'm trying to take measures so it doesn't take over. I've never had any bloom so far (not even diatoms). I assumed all these are part of any tank maturing...

Wow!
You really like to add unnecessary stuff to your tank, don't you.
I'm pretty sure that if you take the advice from the older reefers you will save money and livestock.

Reactions: Nav
I've peroxide dosed my tank before. 1ml/10 gallon is pretty safe for 5 days. I've never had any losses from this dose. You'll probably want to remove your cleaner shrimp (I think you have one), they seem to be one of the only reef creatures that are affected by peroxide dosing.

If you turn off all the pumps and shoot the peroxide into the bryopsis, it will be more effective. I wouldn't expect it to cure your bryopsis though. It will help keep it manageable.

There is a really long thread on Nano-Reef with plenty of people that have tried this approach with complete success. It's been 3-4 years since the first post on that thread. At this point, i'd consider this about as controversial as putting vodka in your tank or spiking your kalkwasser with vinegar. We learn new things in this hobby all the time and combating bryopsis and dinos are hard for even the most advanced aquarists. Peroxide dosing can help you combat the problems that you are facing and there really aren't any downsides with this approach.

Last edited:
Phillip, thanks... did u mean 1ml/10gal? (thats mostly what I found) and few using 2ml/10gal on FOWLRs for stronger doses.

Feels much better that its widely used with success. Yes I have a cleaner in my sump and need to house him somewhere (didn't know this).

Now I'm thinking to switch my plan to start off with a 3 day blackout followed by HP dosing for 5 days if the blackout is not effective.

Starting to loose snails cos of dino, yes its a nightmare! My last resort will be dosing Fauna Marin Ultra Algea X, came across some solid reviews on this one (I know @Kensington Reefer is like "this guy loves to dose stuff" ;) lol)

Phillip, thanks... did u mean 1ml/10gal? (thats mostly what I found) and few using 2ml/10gal on FOWLRs for stronger doses.

Feels much better that its widely used with success. Yes I have a cleaner in my sump and need to house him somewhere (didn't know this).

Now I'm thinking to switch my plan to start off with a 3 day blackout followed by HP dosing for 5 days if the blackout is not effective.

Starting to loose snails cos of dino, yes its a nightmare! My last resort will be dosing Fauna Marin Ultra Algea X, came across some solid reviews on this one (I know @Kensington Reefer is like "this guy loves to dose stuff" ;) lol)

Oops, yes I meant 1ml/10 gallon (fixed my post). I've dosed as high as 2ml/10 gallon and didn't notice any negative effects. If you read through that post on nano-reef you'll see that many people went straight to the 2ml/10 gallon dose without any problems. It's really only once you get up into the 5ml/10 gallon level that you'll likely start to see some bleaching on your SPS.

I'd dose and blackout simultaneously. The blackout time will help weaken the dinos, but from what I've read, they tend to come back once you turn the lights back on.

Reactions: Nav
Back