Kessil

I.D. Please.......

I acquired this at the last BAR meeting. Anyone recognize it? Is it indeed an SPS that will love the top of my reef? Thanks for helping to solve this mystery. :davie:
P1000455.jpg

Thx, guys. It will be interesting. I wonder if it was intended for me or if I filched it from someone else. :hat:
I'll do my best with it.

John, I'm going to throw out an alternative ID - that looks like Kyle's Pink Prostrata (peach color, white polyps, white edge growth). I picked up a frag from Kyle ~ 2 weeks ago and it looks exactly like the one in your picture. Shoot him a PM to confirm as Jim & Bryan have forgotten more about reefing than I will ever know.

If I am correct, pound it with light.

Not a pink prostrata (I think Kyle calls it a Raspberry Prostrata). Prostratas tend to be a lot more hairy. I'm guessing its a monti.

Yardartist--I can give you a frag of that right now if you like--pm me and we'll set something up.

John I have one that looks very similar and it bleached out when I had it in a high light area, since moving it to the bottom 1/3 of the tank the color is slowly starting to return.

For sure a Monti, Porites have their coralites bunched up together so they share walls, they also have ten tentacles per polyp. Not an Acro since Acro polyps protrude from the skeleton and do not have that many tentacles.

I'm getting smarter by the minute. :~ (heheheh) Thanks for the great input. It's like the Reef Bunny placed it in my basket and it's going to be a little mystery as to just what it is. I DO like it............but then again, I rarely meet a coral I don't like! I can tell that it is regaining some fluorescence and should be electric lime if my guess is correct. If I don't see the color spreading, I'll move it down a bit. Not much polyp extension at this point. We'll see. Thank for entertaining the discussion! H)

I believe I also have a chunk of the same thing at the store. Which tells us exactly nothing. Just wanted to contribute now that I've had some coffee.

Back