Reef nutrition

I hate RTN

Just have to blow off a little steam and say how much I can't stand RTN. Lost my red planet, a turqoise stag, steve elias stag and rainbow monti last week to RTN. All my parameters checked out so I have no idea what caused it. It seemed to start when I made a couple frags of the ORA Supernatural cap to return to DBTC but one of the frags didn't make it. Then it was a chain reaction of RTN.

4 different coral? are you running any carbon? or maybe add some polyfilter to see it any metals are in your water. I sometimes get RTN but only on a single coral usually a new one, not on mutliple corals at once. Something is wrong I bet.

Sorry to hear that Durwin. That is some bad luck. I have heard of RTN starting a chain reaction of RTN on other pieces. Don't know if that helps, but from what I remember the cure is large water changes. Let me know if you need restocking as I have a few of the pieces you mentioned.

I am not running carbon yet but just recently purchased the BRS dual reactor to run carbon and GFO. Maybe I should get that thing set up right away. It definitely happened to a group of corals that were located in the same vicinity on my frag rack. It started with ORA supernatural frag, then the turqoise stag and then the red planet that was next to it. The rainbow monti (was actually two frags) which were close by were next to go.

alas, I'm sorry to hear about that.

Sorry to steal this thread. I have the same problem. 1/3 of my small green cap monti is white now. I did a 20% water change. Question is, what should i do now? Hack out the white part? Or cut my losses and remove the whole thing monti cap?

Coincidentally, everything was fine until i used AceHardware epoxy in the tank. Sigh, that thing is super stinky! I won't be surprised it's not reef safe. I've removed all the exoxy from the rocks now, but i couldn't clean them all up. :-(

Dang Durwin, I ffeel your pain, I woke up to a bright white Aussie humilis this morning. In my case I think it's a gravity issue, like a dork I boosted my Mag that was low without taking gravity into account, needless to say I stepped over the line (I think). One thing for sure, it's super easy to do a water change with freshwater :D

I second the use of a Poly-Filter, if anything it will make sure your nutrients are low along with pulling out any potential contamination.

Jeremy, I did raise my Mag since it was low as well but I was careful to watch gravity and altered it accordingly. Maybe I raised the Mag too quickly though?

Nah, I've spiked mag many times without issue, I was merely relaying my knuckleheaded mistake and hoped it would console you a little. When it happens to multiple corals it's truly a bummer, try the Poly-Filter and maybe double check your #s by giving a sample to someone with different test kits.

vivi said:
alas, I'm sorry to hear about that.

Sorry to steal this thread. I have the same problem. 1/3 of my small green cap monti is white now. I did a 20% water change. Question is, what should i do now? Hack out the white part? Or cut my losses and remove the whole thing monti cap?

Coincidentally, everything was fine until i used AceHardware epoxy in the tank. Sigh, that thing is super stinky! I won't be surprised it's not reef safe. I've removed all the exoxy from the rocks now, but i couldn't clean them all up. :-(

I started like that on monti-caps then digis, some white spots then boom, damned nudis; check the monti at night, little flash light.

Back