Cali Kid Corals

I know ich is in my tank but ain't affecting my current livestock

So do I need to TTM or let it ride til the Ich dies after 8 wks?

In my 400g DT: From time to time, one of tang would have a spot for a few days then it would fall off so my clock resets again, ich life cycle. It's frustrating.

I am aware if I introduce new fish now it would be affected, particularly Tangs.

I have an isolated 120 gal QT at the moment with some Tangs.

Any thoughts....

Cheers!

Quite a few people believe that after 6 months to a year, the ich cycle dies off.
I tend to believe that, since I had ich in my DT in the past, but do not get
it when I add new properly QT'd fish.

Some think ich becoming inbred.
Some think fish have a slight adaptive immune system, not purely innate.
Some think that is total nonsense, and ich in the tank is permanent.

But 8 weeks does not enough in a DT full of fish.

I would suggest TTM.

If one tang showed signs in your tank and you haven't done anything to fix that (i.e. remove fish) then it's still in the tank and the fish will either live with or die from it, healthy fish should be fine, it's when they get stressed that their immune systems tend to be a bit more compromised.

If one tang showed signs in your tank and you haven't done anything to fix that (i.e. remove fish) then it's still in the tank and the fish will either live with or die from it, healthy fish should be fine, it's when they get stressed that their immune systems tend to be a bit more compromised.

Currently have 3 tangs and they all were hosted by ich no longer than a week. Now all tangs are ich free. If the ich doesn't find a host for 3 months? The tank should be Ich free?
If this would be the case, I let it ride coz doing a TTM with a 400gal ain't fun.

You don't do ttm with the DT. Ttm is a form of quarantine that uses the life cycle of ich against itself.

Some say to rid yourself of ich in the DT, you have to pull ALL the fish. Either do ttm then into a qt for observation/meds or straight into a qt n medicate. Then you have to leave the DT fallow ( fish less) for up to 120 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently have 3 tangs and they all were hosted by ich no longer than a week. Now all tangs are ich free. If the ich doesn't find a host for 3 months? The tank should be Ich free?
If this would be the case, I let it ride coz doing a TTM with a 400gal ain't fun.
That's the thing, ich might find a host, it's just that the immune response of the existing fish might be good enough that they don't even show much in the way of signs.

My 2c after battling ich twice. If you want to get rid of ich in 8 weeks, the only option is to take out the fish into a QT, treat them (with copper or hyposalinity or similar) & leave the DT fishless for at least 8 weeks. If you keep the fish in the DT, I saw posts that suggest to wait at least 6 to 12 months before introducing new livestock. Boost the fish immune system, for example with garlic enriched foods. This is not 100% proof. The fish might get some temporary immunity to ich and force it to die off. Or they might continue to carry it, and with the first stress opportunity they will show signs of ich. Reset the timer each time you see signs of ich. After 6 to 12 months of "ich free" be careful to introduce livestock slowly and observe all the fish for 1-2 weeks. Also make sure to QT any type of new livestock, the ich could attach to rocks, plugs, snail shells, dead coral tissue, etc. The dips won't help while the ich is attached.
BTW, in the past I tried various "reef safe" ich treatments directly in my DT, before taking the fish out. They were all a waste of time and effort. They only caused a bunch of side effectsand more losses of livestock, while the ich was unaffected. Hope this helps.

So do I need to TTM or let it ride til the Ich dies after 8 wks?

In my 400g DT: From time to time, one of tang would have a spot for a few days then it would fall off so my clock resets again, ich life cycle. It's frustrating.

I am aware if I introduce new fish now it would be affected, particularly Tangs.

I have an isolated 120 gal QT at the moment with some Tangs.

Any thoughts....

Cheers!
How do you know it is ich?

Back