High Tide Aquatics

I love chalice

Well, since I'm not a regular "chalice killer" any longer, I've come to really enjoy watching my chalice garden grow. Even some that looked like they'd succome to algae, lack of good conditions or whatever are now looking vibrant, puffy, and growing new perimeter growth. My "I wanna sex you up" mycedium has become a giant and looking like some of the display coral that seduced me into the hobby. No longer looking like a store display of frags for sale, I'm pretty happy with the whole labor intensive world.

Some of my buddies on The Reefers Cafe forum also love chalice and we've been talking about it for over a year. Get a look at this chalice known as Convict Chalice. It' not a Photoshop image and exists "out there". There is a very slim chance that a frag may become available that an East Coast buddy could mail out to me. I know it's a slim chance........but I'm hopeful!!!!! 0:)
ConvictChalice.jpg

John... I actually have a frag of that chalice. I've had it for over a year and It's still alive... I almost lost it when I went on vacation. But 1/2 is sill alive... I would love to have somebody take care of it and grow it out then frag it.. :) I've been trying to do that myself :)

Here it is almost a year ago:

Right now it's 1/2 that since it almost died, but was able to dip it and save it....

PS. Under high light, you get more orange than dark... Mine almost turned to be like this one:

DSCN5595.jpg

I suspect I'll see several frags of that Convict in the next couple weeks :) I'm hitting NY and NJ fragswaps ;)

Yeah but I will only be home for a couple days in all of October :(

GreshamH said:
I suspect I'll see several frags of that Convict in the next couple weeks :) I'm hitting NY and NJ fragswaps ;)

Any chance you can bring back some NY Pizza and Juniors strawberry cheesecake for me? :bigsmile:

As far as chalices, I'm starting to like them. First one was a DBTC sex you up mycedium. Also picked up another from the swap and one (2) of them from the raffle at the swap. Ended up picking up a red and alien eye chalice from a local reefer. :D

aalhait said:
John... I actually have a frag of that chalice. I've had it for over a year and It's still alive... I almost lost it when I went on vacation. But 1/2 is sill alive... I would love to have somebody take care of it and grow it out then frag it.. :) I've been trying to do that myself :)

Here it is almost a year ago:

Right now it's 1/2 that since it almost died, but was able to dip it and save it....

PS. Under high light, you get more orange than dark... Mine almost turned to be like this one:

DSCN5595.jpg
Well Holy Cow! I'd gladly volunteer to find a place in the Elos for it. Say the word as I've sure become attached to that top picture. Color shifting is such an interesting science. Look how different the two corals look! It's hard to believe they are of the same gene pool. Just let me know if you want me to give it a go.

PS I've found that when chalice starts to recede, it's often best to saw off the damaged tissue section entirely to stop the spread of whatever infection or condition is affecting it. Damaged tissue seems to be like Gangrene, it continues to spread even when tank conditions are raised to "chalice quality". Mine also hate too much flow as well as too much light too quickly. In fact, I only have a couple chalices that are more than an inch or two off the bottom. A short dip in Revive after sawing usually gives you a clean, sterile frag with a good hope of revival. I've also noticed that chalice frags can take a real long time to "take off" after fragging. My Aussi Golden Eye was healthy, but the same size for over 8 months or more before I noticed significant new perimeter growth.

Gresh!!!!!!!!!! (my new best friend LOL)
I don't know if you find it as interesting and special as me, but it really stands out as "something different". Should you happen to get the opportunity to grab some of this, please connect me with the source and I'll see if I can get a chunk shipped out. And to think, I thought I ran out of tank real estate until today! :)

xcaret said:
GreshamH said:

Smuggle them to NorCal !!

Why would I resort to an illegal activity when I can legally do it? Joking about smuggling online is a real dumb thing to do, not in the sense it could get you in trouble, but in the sense we as a hobby/industry are currently under a microscope and any mention of smuggling joking or not adds fuel to the fire. I would highly appreciate if you ever do such a thing again, you do not quote me in it and leave me 100% out. Unlike you this is my life, career AND hobby.

xcaret said:
Is just a plain joke ;)
Not telling you to bring illegal meds or anything jeez !

I don't take such things lightly, even in jest. I have been highly outspoken against smuggling since I joined this hobby and I will not sit quietly even if some one is joking. I am privy to stuff you are not and I will leave it at that.

Illegal meds or smuggling coral, both are not a kosher subject to joke about in an open forum, this thread can be seen by the entire world. Smuggling coral is a violation of the Lacy Act and can be more damning then getting caught with illegal meds in some cases.

There were two of these variations that came in. One, "the convict" like Steve had was more green and purple and then the other "zebra pyschadelic" which was more red; like the piece you have.

Both pieces are very cool, but my eyes have always been drawn to the red variation :)

tuberider said:
There's some around here too, a few colonies came into the BA a couple of years ago.

Can't imagine the price when they are available, will it be the new BGM, Purple Hornet, multi-color Mushroom?
Neptune had/has this amazing chalices; as Roy Orbison sang "Only in dreams" ...unless I win the Mega-Million lotto or I get to be the luckiest son of a gun to be DBTC such beauty !!!

Back