Our mission

I need advice regarding the RC stuff

Thales

Past President
The stuff that has been going on on RC is starting to effect my life in bad ways, and I need some advice on how I should deal with it.

Should I ignore it?
Should I step down a president?
Is it just part of the job and I should grow an even thicker skin?
Am I really a dictator?

Help!

I say make one final statement and do not respond after that. I know how you must feel. But I am asking you not to step down as a pres. you are doing a great job and only a few that have problems do not know it.

Rich - you have been doing a very admirable job of handling the RC issue (I don't read religiously for eight hours and come home and BAM).

Like Anthony has said try not to succumb to the taunts on RC - even Koden has cooled his heels a bit. The rants are just that rants - almost reflex at this point.

Chill a bit and watch Biker Buildoff - what a way to spend a vacation day - that's what I'm doing.=)

On a slightly lighter note ---
Fwiw - I had a lousy day - bought a used skimmer only to find out after cleaning it up the pump died. The guy was real cool about it, and I will returning the skimmer and getting my money back.

Eileen

I recall the BARE days and watching it go down in flames. I was really close to joining at that time, and was very disappointed in the way it went down - not for the fact that a new club was started, but the all the crappy posts that went back and forth. I waited several months to see how the new club would pan out.

At the time, I had just stepped down from an officer's position in a different kind of club, and walked away from that part of my life. I walked away simply because there was no real leadership and no sense of direction as to where the club was going - too much infighting and too much bad blood between our parent national club.

I know how you feel where it feels like everything you are doing and no one seems to appreciate it or at least a few do. I know I appreciate everything BAR has done and what the past and current BOD has accomplished.

Rich, you're a martial arts guy. You already know the routine. Just relax, take a deep breath, do what you have to do, and let all the commotion flow past without affecting you.

Find the calm in the eye of the storm. Detachment.

:)

What do you mean step down? You kick ass, those pansies don't realize how much blood and sweat you put into making this club happen. To be honest with you, when I first saw you I thought you were sorta mean and arrogant looking, but I got to know you and what you do for this club and found out that you were quite the opposite. I appreciate what you do and I put this question out for anyone to answer, what will we do as a club if Rich steps down? We all know Gresham is too lazy to run the club. ;) lol

I think you've been doing a good job in running the club and answering people's questions and complaints. Hang in there. I think some don't know everything involved in running the club and find it easy to just complain.

Rich,
You and everyone in BOD are doing a great job. I really appreciate the work that you guys done for the club. Some idiots just don't realize how much work it takes to run a club like this. The most important thing is those idiots are not even BAR Member. They don't have a damn right to say how the club should run. Don't let them talk you down.

Sit back, relax and have one of this....
heinekenbeerpicturest051op.jpg

Thanks guys! I guess I just needed some love because all I was seeing was ickyness.

I ran through many breathing sequences this morning. :D

The questions I posed here were trying to gauge if I really was doing a bad job because I certainly don't need to be doing as much work as I am doing for free if I am doing a bad job and no one wants me to do it. Nice run on sentence eh? :D

Thanks again!

Unsubsribe from the thread. Even with the nicer comments coming out of the early antogonists, there are and always will be new ones joining to take their places.

The underlying problem is that we have a clash of two groups of type A personalities:
Those who push the club and exert the effort to improve things.
Those who critisize others but do nothing to change and improve things.

That thread gave me a bit of stress too, for reasons only Rich would understand.

Keep up the good work, Rich. I'd rather hide behind and support you than be in the line of fire myself. :D

BTW, I really appreciate the email notification for the club meeting last week. That is a great example of quality communication with club members.

Rich, I honestly say ignore it unless there is a question directly aimed at you.

Seriously its one of those things where if you have to reply to every comment it just looks like you're BAR. I think members replying to the comments makes it look more like BAR is responding to the comments.

Thanks guys. I think I am done with it, unless something directly is pointed at me. :D

I got into a better, more productive groove this afternoon.

BABY PIC ANTHONY!

Agu to the rescue! The thread has been closed. DIE DIE DIE.

I'll post a baby pic this weekend. With a digital camera and all, I've probably already got 300 pictures in only a week.

Rich, from what I seen I think you are very fair, and doing an good job for the most part. ( I was a little upset at the last BOD meeting since no one was there but Mark when I showed up, but oh well.) I used to be a Director at a summer camp at the YMCA, and I still do their week long summer camp with 140 volunteers. Trust me it doesn't matter who is in charge, you can't please everyone, and you can't hold volunteers to the same standard as someone who is being paid. Someone is always upset at something. I think if someone has a valid point to make about the leadership of the club, they should at least come to a meeting and vioce it there. Its too easy to just post it and walk away. Doing it in person at least you can talk about it and maybe come to an understanding. You can also read moods and jokes better, than in text. Keep up the good work.

Here is my advice:

1. Look for the constructive feedback from the posts. A common theme seems to be lack of communication and a feeling that people's input was slammed, or not appreciated, when they participated in the leadership of the club (i.e., the Dictator acqusation). Whether you feel these comments are warranted or not, you have to realize that the people wouldn't be making them unless that is what they felt.

When I find myself in those situations, I often personally choose to disagree with their opinions; but, realize that something has to change with how I am coming across to improve people's perceptions of me, or the situation.

While it's great to have support of fellow BOD members or BAR members, after reading the last few days of posts, it sounds like West Side Story. An Emperor learns more from the person that says he has no clothes than a yes man.

2. Absolutely don't respond tit for tat with everything that has been said. While your rebuttal may have the best of intentions, it's hard to pull it off without validating the very thing that someone was complaining about. Let your actions speak more than your words.

Since we are a club, the good of the club should come first and unfortunately, your attempts to defend your personal actions have sometimes come across just as mean spirited as the original attack.

Just as the whole BARE situation turned a lot of people off, I'm afraid, this new situation will only turn off prospective new members during the time of the year when reefkeeping usually reaches its peak. Thus, I would try to ignore most of it. Like most things it will eventually blow over.

In short, look for the constructive feedback as a gift of ways to improve how you are coming across or the BAR BOD needs to change how it is handling things.

Buena suerte,

Roy

Lefty said:
The stuff that has been going on on RC is starting to effect my life in bad ways, and I need some advice on how I should deal with it.

Should I ignore it?
Should I step down a president?
Is it just part of the job and I should grow an even thicker skin?
Am I really a dictator?

Help!

Lefty:

You asked for advice and I gave it. Sometimes advice is not easy to give or receive; neither is the medicine that is good for us.

Hang in there as President; but, realize that ex-BOD members are so unhappy with how BAR has been run, that they are willing to publicly attack you (given that the BOD are volunteers, the fact that someone would make a personal attack only speaks to the depth of their feelings about what they feel happened). Since I have not been a BOD member, I can't speak from experience. I can only report on the threads I have been reading. At a minimum, there is some impression/perception that needs to be addressed or changed.

In management, I strive for 80/20 rule. As long as 80% of the BAR membership is happy with what the BOD is doing, don't drag yourself into the gutter trying to convince (via RC posts) the remaining 20% that you are doing a good job. Unfortunately, no one will ever have a 100% approval rating.

If it were me, I would first work on the whole communication issue. Consider doing away with the secret forum, post agendas for discussion/input in advance of the meeting, and have meaningful meeting minutes.

Buena suerte,

Roy

Back