Reef nutrition

I need an external pump

What kind would work best to replace my canister filter. I need an external, self priming pump to circulate water through my chiller. I don't have a sump so it will need to pull water directly from the tank. Doesn't need to be too big since the tank is only 17 gallons. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Coral reefer said:
Eheim works submersible or inline

But aren't self priming? I'm just wondering how I would start the siphon. Is there a special pump or are all external pumps the same? Do I need a pump rated in pressure or head? What's a good gph ?

Chiller should say how many gph you want to put through it. Where will the pump go, on the ground? Not sure why you're worried about a siphon...? So are you going to put a bulkhead in your tank somewhere? What will the external pump be connected to/how will the water get from your tank to the intake of the pump. Seems like any in line pump will move enough water for such a small tank, so I wouldn't worry about getting a big enough pump, you'll likely have to use a valve to reduce flow some.

I don't know of a small self priming external pump, personally I'd approach it like a canister filter and use the power of quick disconnects and valves to maintain siphon during service.

The canister has been working great except since the canister is completely empty if I so much as bump it the detritus inside goes back into the water column and really messes up the tank. It looks like its snowing. I would like to avoid this by using a pump without a settling chamber. Any suggestions? I could use ball valves and unions to disconnect the pump if need be, but how would I start the siphon?

Sorry I wasn't clear, I wouldn't use a canister, but I'd run the valve quick disconnect setup similar to what canisters use, remember the old Magnum setup? Like that with the pump inline.

Back