Our mission

I really hate MAP policy... (mini-rant)

hahaha, yeah that's the kicker, is how long it takes to get somewhere, then find parking, did a couple hospital runs and going about 3.5 miles to a Kaiser in SF took 30 minutes (not including parking), going 24 miles to one in Redwood city... 28 minutes. *sigh*

And that's with out MAP pricing! :D

I sense a drift in the focus of this discussion.

Ah, this thread got me shopping. :( I just lucked out on a loss leader online, and picked up 5 Pictilis Anthias for 60% off of the best price I've seen before (shipping included). Either the price has dropped a lot on these, or someone is taking a haircut on this sale. I am not sure this benefits anyone, I wouldn't have bought these at a typical price. A MAP on fish would have saved me the mental anguish of deciding to get the fish because it is a 'good price', when I didn't plan to get them.

The same thing happened to me last year. There was a crazy good price on tiny (~1 inch) scribbled angelfish, so I got one. I couldn't put the angle into my fowlr tank without getting eaten so it was alone in a 20g qt in the garage growing out to a size where he wouldn't be eaten. I wasn't really prepared for him to be there for the couple years that it would take to get large enough, and sadly he passed away. I would probable be ahead financially, and still have a living fish, if there was a MAP, with real solid price, and I didn't feel afraid of "missing out" on the deal.

(edit)- if someone is trying to find this deal it is now gone, sorry I must have bought them all

Last edited:
I did find this bit of information that might help you get some Black Friday deals from certain MAP priced products that some of the major manufactures.

This was found from this websight but I will assume that Marine Depot, BRS and others will have the same sales on the same days as the MFG are the ones to allow the sales to be different from their own set MAP prices.

Capture.PNG

This thread is very entertaining.

And I'm very grateful for everyone being able to discuss this in a civil manner without direct flame-age.

I can't afford any new equipment at the moment so no blackfriday reef sales for me. I did buy myself a christmas present. Milhaukee Electronic Refractometer from amazon.

That being said, I do try to buy local as much as possible. 98% of my coral are bought from local fish stores, including Aquatic Collection, Diablo, CRC, and Neptune Aquatics.

I go there for livestock. That's where LFS make most of their profit. If I need some dry goods, I will take the 10-20$ hit from buying local. Might as well get it there instantly. I don't care about saving 10$ but if there's a 40$ difference, then I'll shop online if I can for the product.

I support local economy and taxes which pay for the improvement/maintenance projects for local cities.

Damnit Mike you had to go and say that, now feel the full force of the semi-anonymous internet warrior. FLAME ON!!!!!!!

I can't afford anything either, I need to get what I have set up properly which unfortunately is a lot of leg work right (more major construction!), plus I already am treating myself to a pre-baby present of a new computer, and my wife loves me so got me noise cancelling headphones :D

Back