Neptune Aquatics

I see the hate for suction cups now!

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
So yesterday I got a new pump... Seio 2600, wooooooo yeah 2600 gph!, lots of flow. So I moved my 1500 to the other side of the tank, all 6 suction cups are working no problem. About 10 minutes before i had to leave I went to look to make sure everything was going alright.. and what do I see? White cloudy tank *UGH*. So quickly ran through my mind what I have that could do that, spawning(??), that little piece of caulerpa finally went "sexual", ah ha! Pumps!

Not being able to see anything I just unplug all the pumps, my poor foxface was smooshed against the front of the glass breathing a bit faster he almost needed to see me for reassurance or something it seemed. Well I find out it's not the new pump, but the older one, so I only had 1500 gph blowing into my sandbed, I plug in the other pumps and left, I know 10 minutes is not going to let that stuff settle and went to dinner. Interesting note a nice white background makes all the algae on the front glass very visible! I was half tempted to get out a razor blade and scrape it.. but nah.

Anyways I got home and saw the "damage", everything was alive, light powder on all the rocks sure, and a nice big ditch in the corner of the tank a few inches deep. No evil toxins got released to kill my inhabitants, or any of that stuff which people say exist in a DSB.

Anyways just had to share (and brag about my new pump :)).

Always clean the surface before you move the pump to that area. Happen to me several times. If the surface dirty, the suction cups will come off soon or later. I hate that so much that's why I ordered the Tunze pumps /w the magnet :D ..

dswong01 said:
Mike,
Try the magnet mod
http://www.cvreefers.org/showthread.php?t=2536

Actually this could well affect the performance of the pump - I'm sure our resident Physics expert could articulate better, but the pump works using magnetism and having a big ol' magnet next to the pump will, IMO, add resistance to the pumps motor ...

magnet probably wouldn't affect the pump much at all, they really are weak at any distance beyond the thickness of the glass/acrylic they're designed for. Problem is the 1500s are quite a bit bulkier than the 620, don't know if I'd trust a magnet.

And I did clean the surface, infact I just did a major tank cleaning earlier where I scrapped all the surfaces with razor and pulled out almost a half pound of algae!

No hole, just use the hardware that comes with the pump. The diagram show the swivel under the pump. With the "mod", you put the swivel above, which requires drilling a hole one of the parts. I know there's a thread on RC describing it, but I never saw it. I made mine after seeing Akacable's setup.

I did drill a hole on the eurobrace, though, to hold the hardware.

Back