Jestersix

I Think I May Lose My Grape Hammer

VERY CLOSE CALL

For some reason my chiller circulation pump, Via Aqua, stopped working; then it got worse. This came to my attention after I noticed that my softies were looking stressed out. Ruling out my water parameters having done a water change the day b4, I started going through the system. I noticed the chiller displayed a temp of 68. Weird, b/c it's set for 77. Also, noticed that the heating indicator on the chiller was flashing. So, I looked in the sump and saw my 300 watt heater indicator was on. I then checked the temperature gauge and it displayed 89.7 F. Wow, so I threw a couple of trays of ice into the sump, but I really needed a bag of ice and the Neighborhood Mart was closed. To make a longer story shorter, I serviced the chiller pump and all is right again. All I can think is that when I did the w/c, something was sucked into the pump that made it stall, or it's reached it's limit of usefulness. Probably the former rather than that latter.

My real concern is the Hagen heater is connected to the chiller, so the chiller is suppose to tell the heater to go and off and the heater was baking my tank. I picked up a new 100w digital heater from BRS last month for my 38G freshwater tank up stairs, so I wondering if I should run a smaller heater in the sump so that it can't get to that hot again

Soft corals still seem to be stressed out, but I think they'll come back. I'm running carbon, but I think I'm going to lose my Grape Hammer.
When I bought it a few years ago it had 2 heads, now it had 8 but they're looking nearly dead.

I guess I'll be ordering that other Eheim 1262 pump again. Just glad it happen when we got back rather then being away.

LeviT said:
Wow that sucks. Don't give up hope on it though, some corals can take a licking and keep on ticking :)

Thank you. I agree. Looks like a head or two heads may make it. As nice as it looks it was starting to bother some of it's neighbors. I was planning to move to move it at some point, but now it doesn't look like I have too....

Thanks for landing on my post and for responding.

tuberider said:
Solution, don't run a heater :D, I don't I we live in a similar climate, very, very similar climate :)

...very similar indeed.

I heat my mix water before pumping it into the sump, so I don't think I have a need for a heater either. My 2 x 100W EJs arrived and now am conflicted about putting them in.

I'm getting ready to order a Neptune Controller, and would like some feedback and maybe assistance getting it set up.

I've also been considering a 6x twist UV Sterilizer. Is that a waste of money or do you think I could get some benefit from it? LMKWYT.

Coral reefer said:
I don't think it's necessary. Would add some heat tho...

TY CR. I'm guessing you're referring to my question of adding a UV sterilizer; and that would add the heat.

I'm wondering if a UV sterilizer might help rid my tank of cyano that has been developing in my 4 yr old display these past few months; and if so, how many GPHs should I run through the UV device.?

Since this would be another expensive add on to the system it would only be worth it to me if it would help with this kind of bacteria? I've cut way back on the coral and fish food.

On a different Subject - Controllers, I posted this comment / question on my Journal Page, and am placing it on this thread too. TY for you reading this and posting back :0)

Well, the tank is looking respectable, again, considering the baking it took. Quick action saved the day. Finished (hopefully) pruning out some skeletons, and placed some frags too.

All in all, I'm pleased with the corals' resilient abilities to bounce back, but not before taking the green and purple Acans and Hammers.

Received the new 1262 pump and other equipment / goodies earlier, and am now starting to get those projects moving along.

Considering plucking down 541.17 or 791.04 for one of these two configs:

Neptune Systems Apex Lite 366.25
Extra 8 Bar 149.25
_____

Or

Add these features for Salinity, Water on the Floor module

PM2 Mod 84.95
sal/con Sensor 124.95
IO Bix 29.95 (This is for a Waterbug Detector and Float Switch Mgmt)
_____
Grand Total (almost a grand) $791.04

Do I really need a salinity/conductivity probe, or water detection: I think so.... PLMKWYT TY

ALSO, I also need to find out if the 2 Drew's Dosers will operate properly with the Neptune's Apex Lite,
as I'd read something about a compatibility concern with the pumps not turning on or off??? I forget.

tuberider said:
You can pickup a water alarm for $30 and go with the lite, you'd save a bit of money that way.

Is it the "Waterbug?"

I think I'm doing the right thing by getting the extra 8 outlet energy bar. :quest: I think I should be able to use up the extra 8 outlet energy bar, I figure with the 1 Chiller, 3 Fans, 2 MHs, 1 T5, 1 Fuge Light, 1 SVHO, 4 circulation pumps in Sump, 2 Vortechs in Main Display (thinking 2 MP20s). That makes 15 of 16 Outlets.

I'm not sure if the Neptune Apex2 / Lite Controller works correctly with Drews Dosers and Ice Cap Ballasts. I have the 660 IC ballast firing 2 SVHOs & 2 Drews's Dosers, so if anyone has had any experience PLMK :bigsmile:

Back