Jestersix

I wanna chop up an ugly rose... ;)

I'm kinda inspired by Eight's success with propagating his nems and I have this really, REALLY ugly, nice, healthy rose anemone. It's about 10" when fully opened. The reason I'm calling it ugly is because when I bought it the tentacles were decent looking... now they are all uneven sizes. There is a 5" tentacle right next to a 1" tentacle. There are tentacles growing out of other tentacles, tentacles that are shaped like a bubblegum bubble, and then there are a few tentacles that are fat in some places, skinny in other, twisted all out of shape, and they look like they have cancerous tumor-shaped tentacles that are growing on them. It's not a sick anemone. It is very sticky and has stayed in the same place in the tank for like ever... Anyways, I want to know if it's time to give a shot at fragging it.

1) is there a particular reason to dice up your nem?
2) do you have the space to house the "healing cage"? I recall you having a small tank.

Yeah, and remember Jason (eight) simply chopped them up, while I have faith they'll pull through I wouldn't exactly call that a successful propagation quite yet, successful chopping sure ;)

I'd like 2 anemones in my tank that I can place to make the tank look more full and less uneven like it is now. I'm just worried it might end up dieing...

Well dying is a valid concern as chopping an anemone in half is by no means full proof. If you've had an algae issue in the tank I'd worry about doing it as the water is not as clear, not to mention you can't really place an anemone they'll go where they want to. I personally would just feed the anemone and let it get bigger or split on its own. Mine used to split like clockwork whenever I'd feed larger foods like silversides as opposed to mysis.

With your track record and the histroy you posted about you tank I'd say not to cut it at this time. Jason's water quality is great and he has a rather good handle on his tank. Give it some more time before you jump into this. YOu could end up killing it outright.

I'd like to add that IME BTAs have shorter tentacles if they are well fed and in a decent amount of flow with good water quality, if any of those are lacking then the tentacles stretch, again that is my experience nothing more.

Back