Neptune Aquatics

I Wanna Sex You Up Mycedium

Just a word of caution, this chalice has *increadibly* long sweepers. At least mine piece does in the middle of the night. Luckily I never put it too close to anything else good. I have it moved close to some nuisance xenia. :D

CookieJar said:
Just a word of caution, this chalice has *increadibly* long sweepers. At least mine piece does in the middle of the night. Luckily I never put it too close to anything else good. I have it moved close to some nuisance xenia. :D
+1 on the sweepers

Mine was doing well until I tried to glue it down (it kept on blowing around in the current). The thing broke in half and has been receding since. Somebody please take this at the BOD and grow it out.

Still growing and glowing
March201031.jpg

Just in case it doesn't make it... :( I "should" have nice frags to post to the system by summer. I must admit, I DO hate to frag it as it's the best example of mycedium success in my tank! H)

Eric, can you cut off what seems damaged? maybe it will prevent it to spread over the rest of the frag; I know is not the same but my frag of Meteor Shower started RTN and I chipped off a healthy piece, the full frag was dead but the little chip seems to be doing well.

Coral has separated from skeleton a bit; could it have been caused by a fish? the clowns are nearby and a patch of blue cloves started to grow next to it.

xcaret said:
Coral has separated from skeleton a bit; could it have been caused by a fish? the clowns are nearby and a patch of blue cloves started to grow next to it.

Doubt it's the clowns as well as the blue cloves but I haven't had experience w/ the cloves and don't want too. Are you sure there isn't any nearby LPS that could have long sweepers and stung it? I'm thinking anything w/i 6" could be a culprit. This mycedium has very long sweepers itself, enough that I had to move other corals that I thought were a safe distance away.

Knowing of the sweepers I placed it separate on a concave rock for it to grow by itself, I was doing some cleaning and noticed the fleshy part loose of the skeleton; I'll check night time for anything that might indicate something is picking on it.

One of my favorite "difficult" corals to date is now ready for redistribution. Don't worry about picking a number, just be positive that you have a tank and track record that supports healthy and growing difficult LPS such as mycedium and chalice. Suggested placement based on my experience is on a 2" tall pedestal, on the bottom of your tank in medium current. Sweepers are pretty short but allow 2" min between your frags and other corals. It grows pretty fast with good conditions and will be showcase within a year of good conditions and Here's the mother colony after sawing two 3/4" square frags from it. First two requests from qualified BAR members get the frags. I consider this a VERY special coral and will require pretty narrow conditions to be happy and thrive!
BTW Pics were taken by a waterproof Panasonic 14 megapixel camera that was barely $300! I drowned my Cannon G10 in the Amazon.....8-(
P1000014.jpg

Here's the two nicely healed frags ready for DBTC redistribution:
P1000007.jpg

P1000006.jpg

Roberto and Gus! Good deal. As mycedium goes, it's easier than some and sure is a looker. These are large enough frags to have a great head start and it seems to be quite hearty, as mycedium goes. :cool: I sawed them about two weeks ago and they've already healed the cuts completely.

I'll haul them to Baymac unless either of you would prefer to swing by San Carlos before.

Back