got ethical husbandry?

Icecap 660 worth it?

Hey Guys,

What's your opinion on running the Icecap 660? Only thing to run or are other ballast fine? I'm looking at this kit http://www.aquacave.com/60-tek-2-t5-retro-kit-br--2-x-80w-lampsbr-by-sunlight-supply-2177.html but have read the 660 is the best. Is it really? I've been using metal halide this whole time with PC supplementation.

TIA,

Viet

I'd go for the 660. It overdrives T5s so you'll get more PAR, albeit less bulb life. I've got a 660 & 430, both were used and I've never had 1 fail. Getting T5 supplementation gives more color choices since there are so many bulbs compared to PC.

If you @ 80% saying anyone thing in this hobby is good it probably is :) I've used Icecap for ever and still love them. Customer Service is excellent *if* you even ever need it (they're bullet proof). One thing though, if they flicker when you turn it on and the bulbs never actually fully fire, don't plug and unplug it a few times as it will burn out an internal fuse that you can't service yourself. Take it from a guy that did it once :lol: I had a bad connection in an end cap to a simple meter checking of it would have solved but no, I had to plug and unplug it a few times :lol:

I wouldn't even bother with the icecap if that's retro-kit you're getting, it already comes with a ballast. Will your bulbs work better with an icecap? Probably not. Why add another $150 to the cost of the kit?

I've used that ballast and it seems rather on the week side to me. It could be mine is just old though, who knows :)

When I was looking into it I believe the 660 overdrives the T5s around 30-40% and the 430 overdrives the bulbs a lot less, maybe 10%. Someone correct me if my #s are off. So you will get more PAR w/ Icecap, likely less bulb life, whether that approach is worth it or not is an individual decision.

I've seen a few tanks that were using the ballasts that come with the Tek retro-fits and the corals seemed to grow fine. Everyone will have a different opinion.

It is. Relative wrt:
corals seemed to grow fine.
and
seems rather on the week side to me

In a discussion like this thread, the only thing that will make everyone happy is absolute numbers.

I've run both Triad and Workhorse ballasts on T5s and a handful of PCs and they performed just fine. Plenty bright and didn't go bunk. I'm sure that an icecap would also work fine with more output. The higher output is no surprise by design (but comes with tradeoffs).

The only reason I can see using an icecap over a quality "normal" ballast would be if you really need more light.

That IMO should be the first topic. Do you need more light than a standard ballast offers? If no, then I wouldn't get an overdriving icecap. If yes, then I would.

Just remember that overdriven bulbs burn out faster and I think they require fan cooling to prevent even more rapid burnout.

Happy New Years guys! Thanks for the responses.

So I'm deciding between a 3 bulb setup on a 660 that will overdrive the bulbs

OR

For the same cost I can get two of those retrofit kits mentioned above which to some (not just Gresh) would say "seem weak" but I would end up with 4 bulbs going across.

I've got a 660. I've only wired it up on the floor so far, though. I made the mistake of turning it on in low light, nearly blinded myself and fell over.
I have a question about the ballast, though. I see there is a dimmer input on it. Does anyone know if there is some sort of diagram/schematic/specification on how to hook this up? I'd like to dim my bulbs for a sunrise/sunset effect, but I'd rather roll my own dimmer than purchase a $200 (at the cheapest!) unit to do it for me.

Laura from IC will be at BAYMAC. They are one of the event sponsors. I will prime her that the question will be asked :D

porksmash said:
I've got a 660. I've only wired it up on the floor so far, though. I made the mistake of turning it on in low light, nearly blinded myself and fell over.
I have a question about the ballast, though. I see there is a dimmer input on it. Does anyone know if there is some sort of diagram/schematic/specification on how to hook this up? I'd like to dim my bulbs for a sunrise/sunset effect, but I'd rather roll my own dimmer than purchase a $200 (at the cheapest!) unit to do it for me.

No dimmer for IC660 (T5 seup). I asked the same question in the IC sponsor forum on RC. I ended up switching my 660 with an accustart triad ballast. Personally I thought the 660 was a lil too much for my tank. Might be good if you have a taller tank.

Gresham, I will have to make sure I attend then!

I am using VHO bulbs which are supposed to be dimmable, unlike the T5s. I do have a decent height tank, 24" high. With three bulbs at 60" long each the 660 is just enough ballast. Now that I search some more, apparently there is an internal modification that should be done by IceCap to fix some issues. I still can't find anything on what is required to actually dim the bulbs, what sort of hookups and electrical signals are expected, and so on, so off to customer support I go! I hope they aren't keeping it a secret to sell more expensive dimmer units.

There is only one product I know of to dim them and only Champion Lighting sells it. www.ChampionLighting.com

Direct link:

http://www.championlighting.com/home.php?cat=376

This is the cheapest model:
http://www.championlighting.com/product.php?productid=17466&cat=376&page=1
$329
solar1000.jpg

Yep, that is the exact thing I am trying to avoid buying. I don't need the amount features a real controller provides, like lunar cycles for moonlights, length of day based on the solstices, and so on. I also think they are extremely overpriced, but that is probably due to lack of demand more than anything. I just want to dim the bulbs from dark-full in the morning and full-dark at night. There are 4 pins in the dimmer interface plug, and I was hoping to find a schematic that says 0V on this pin, 0-10V signal on that pin, or whatever it is supposed to be. Information is extremely lacking :(

GreshamH said:
There is only one product I know of to dim them and only Champion Lighting sells it. www.ChampionLighting.com

Direct link:

http://www.championlighting.com/home.php?cat=376

This is the cheapest model:
http://www.championlighting.com/product.php?productid=17466&cat=376&page=1
$329
solar1000.jpg

Check RC I spotted couple of those dimmers, a 750 and a 1000 for less than $100

porksmash said:
Yep, that is the exact thing I am trying to avoid buying. I don't need the amount features a real controller provides, like lunar cycles for moonlights, length of day based on the solstices, and so on. I also think they are extremely overpriced, but that is probably due to lack of demand more than anything. I just want to dim the bulbs from dark-full in the morning and full-dark at night. There are 4 pins in the dimmer interface plug, and I was hoping to find a schematic that says 0V on this pin, 0-10V signal on that pin, or whatever it is supposed to be. Information is extremely lacking :(

They don't release those details I am afraid. Or rather in the last 10 years I have not seen them any place and I have looked very hard.

Back