Our mission

icecap inside out

northbay-reefer said:
Mr. Ugly said:
Looks like resistance due to bad connection/corrosion based on how hot that spade connector got.

That is over 10 years of use so that is not bad. It broke one and I sent it to Icecap and they fixed it, this time I want to do it myself because Coralvue overcharge.

What did Coralvue want?

It is funny, I was shocked about the ancient technology on that board, then
I saw the comment about 10 years of use.
Yep, not bad when 10 years later all you need is a new fuse holder.

Still wondering why there are 3 transformers in that beast though.
Odd...
The bottom down are probably ganged together, so that might make sense.

I think CoralVu is somewhere the $65 mark to service IC660's, they didn't post servicing the 430's
Good price if someone's not onto fixing what might be a small thing.
I got the 660 out and it is to use a 7 amp fuse where the 430 is a 4 amp.
Interesting the mini-breaker idea, but would those be available in the recommended 4 or 7 amp rating? I'll check around; would be nice in case it shuts off, to just press the little button.

Your guys' genius amazes me! I could never trust myself with a soldering iron, though I haven't needed to use one... yet! :D

rygh said:
In fact, a dirty little secret on the meanwell LED drivers is that it can be 30 amps.
Only the really high end power supplies have inrush limiters.
(Often the same ones that have PFC)
A dirtier secret is that inrush current isn't the worst of it, just how the meanwell's grab current while they're working is downright scary, 10amp surges that constantly occur for something that's "rated" at 1AMP would not be out of the question (that 1amp is the time averaged draw), simply due to the diode/cap design of how they move power. Normally not a big deal, but if you make some big setup with 10 drivers or something you can have serious issues.

Back