Cali Kid Corals

Ich

Today I noticed several white spots that look like grains of salt on my firefish. From what I've read, this sounds like ich. I know I should have been quarantining everything, but I just hadn't set up a QT tank yet. :-[

Several weeks ago I did put some biomax filters and filter foam for my old aquaclear filter into the sump to get biological filtration going on them, so I was all set to start a QT tank. This evening I picked up a 5 gallon tank and a heater and got the firefish (and my one other fish, a blue-green chromis) moved into it.

Now my question is, how would you recommend I treat them? I picked up a bottle of Kent Marine RxP, because it's what the chain pet store I got the tank at had. Should I use it, or would you recommend I get something else? Should I add it to the QT tank or give them a dip? The bottle talks about the skimmer removing the RxP over time. Since the QT tank doesn't have a skimmer, maybe I should dip them instead?

Also, can I move them back to the display tank in a couple days if the ich clears, or should do I need to keep fish out of the display tank for a while?

Thanks in advance!

I don't know anything about that particular medication, however just follow the directions on the lable and that should be ok. How ever you should move all of your fish to the qt tank to treat them all and you will need to keep them there for 3-4 weeks. Ich can live in the tank for 3 weeks without a host in the water.

I use hyposaliinity for treating ich.

Take the s.g. down to 1.009 over a period of several days. This can be be in a hospital tank or a spare rubbermaid container. Corals and other inverts won't survive hypo.

If it is ich, you need to let the main tank run fishless for about 4-6 weeks to break the life cycle of the parasite.

Here are some useful articles:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/sp/index.php

http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=83916

http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic31173-10-1.aspx

hth!

Okay. The instructions say that if it's added to the tank, you MUST have a skimmer to remove it. Since I don't on this QT tank, I followed the instructions for a dip instead. The fish seem not at all happy after this. :( I read those links and I think I'll start brining down the salinity tomorrow and just treat it that way.

There were only a few spots so hopefully I caught this early, the fish will recover, and it'll be gone from my tank. And I promise to be a good girl and QT everything from now on...

Good luck, pixi.

Careful not to get fooled by the ich though. It will disappear for a bit as the parasite transitions through its stages.

If the cycle hasn't been broken, it reappears again, worse than previously.

;D I'm gonna get yell at for saying this but when my fish has ich, I just try to get it to eat a lot and eat healthy food. Soak food in garlic/selcon, feed them live food. Most of the time the fish will recover by itself.

oh man, this little guy's not lookin' too good. i hope the dip didn't put him over the edge. i might have a dead firefish in the morning. :(

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=3918.msg45976#msg45976 date=1213681515]
That can happen, but the ich will still be in the tank, and if something stresses the fish, the ich will show up again.
[/quote]

True that's why you can't let the fish stress ;D ..

[quote author=pixelpixi link=topic=3918.msg45978#msg45978 date=1213683257]
oh man, this little guy's not lookin' too good. i hope the dip didn't put him over the edge. i might have a dead firefish in the morning. :(

[/quote]
Hopefully he can pull through.. I hate dipping fish. I think it cause more stress for the fish. I'm crossing my fingers for you..

You might try dropping the salinity now rather than tomorrow.

The lowered salinity is less taxing on the fish due to reduced need for osmoregulation.

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=3918.msg45981#msg45981 date=1213685112]
You might try dropping the salinity now rather than tomorrow.

The lowered salinity is less taxing on the fish due to reduced need for osmoregulation.
[/quote]

I don't have any RO/DI water or dechlorinator at home, unfortunately. (my display tank is in my office at work) My fridge has a water filter which I -think- is RO, but I don't have a chlorine test here either and I'm not confident enough that it removes chloramine to risk subjecting the little fellow to that.

Hopefully he's still around tomorrow and I can start dropping the salinity then.

Thanks for the help and the well wishes, guys!

I am pretty sure Chris at AC uses that kent product. Essentially it is some sort of pepper I believe. He swears by it. Maybe he will chime in about it.

The pepper type stuff works supposedly by irritating the fish so that it produces more slime. The idea is that the extra slime makes it harder for ich trophants to attach.

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=3918.msg45988#msg45988 date=1213709270]
your fridge most likely is a carbon filter and that's it.

[/quote]

I thought it was more than that, but yeah, might be.

Anyway, he's looking much better this morning. Doesn't seem interested in eating yet (actually, the chromis doesn't either) but he's moving around more and seems more responsive.

Of course, there's always the possibility that he's been completely fine but is just scared shitless of my three cats. ;)

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=3918.msg45989#msg45989 date=1213712167]
The pepper type stuff works supposedly by irritating the fish so that it produces more slime. The idea is that the extra slime makes it harder for ich trophants to attach.
[/quote]

Well, it certainly did seem to irritate, that's for sure!

[quote author=Elite link=topic=3918.msg45971#msg45971 date=1213680770]
;D I'm gonna get yell at for saying this but when my fish has ich, I just try to get it to eat a lot and eat healthy food. Soak food in garlic/selcon, feed them live food. Most of the time the fish will recover by itself.
[/quote]I generally use the same approach Phong, so if anyone yells at you I got your back ;)

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=3918.msg45999#msg45999 date=1213716919]
[quote author=Elite link=topic=3918.msg45971#msg45971 date=1213680770]
[/quote]I generally use the same approach Phong, so if anyone yells at you I got your back ;)
[/quote]

Hmm. Well, you guys have a point. Still, I've got this QT tank all set up and the fish moved in to it now. Maybe I'll go ahead and do the hyposalinity treatment and keep them out of the display tank for a few weeks so I can totally eradicate it.

Back