Reef nutrition

ID - Tropical Straberry Anemone?

I have two small anemone like animals in my tank that I'd like to see if I can get some help to ID. They look very close to the temperate strawberry anemone in size and structure but not exactly color. They are close but just not quite as vibrant as the strawberry anemone. I've had two of them for about 2 months that I know of. They seem to be nocturnal for the most part. One is buried under some polyps directly under my Kessil LED (full light) and only seems to open up at night after the lights go out. You wouldn't know he was there if you looked during the day in fact. The polyps cover it up. The other one is down under a ledge just below the other one. You can see it during the day if you know what you're looking for and is real easy to spot after the lights go out.

Pics linked below:

https://picasaweb.google.com/111260556773299713985/Anemone?authuser=0&feat=directlink

The first 4 pics are of the one under the ledge which is a bit easier to see. The last 3 pics are of the one in the middle of the polyps. The flash really washes the color out on this one though.

The base is about 1/4" in diameter and it's deep red/maroon in color. The disc expands to about 1/2"-3/4" when open. The tentacles are a very opaque with white bulb tips on the end.

It doesn't seem to bother anything surrounding it during the day. The polyps surrounding the upper one do close up when it comes out but it hasn't killed any of them off at this point. Neither have moved since I've found them. I haven't located any more to date.

Any ideas on what it might be?

Thanks,
Charlie

Thanks Guys. I googled ball anemone and that looks like what they are. Sounds like they are more of a Corallimorpharian than an anemone too.

Thanks,
Charlie

Charlie
If you are talking about the thing in the middle of your zoanthids, it is stinging them.
Cut it out like a cancer ;/
Or if you like it, leave it alone and let it make room for itself.
But yes it is an anemone. You decide if it is an enemy.

A_Lee said:
Pseudocorynactis sp. comes to mind.

This.

The poster above me is wrong. They don't sting zoas or palys. Both take out the anemones.

I like em and enjoy them in my tank. I have never had in issue in a decade plus of keeping them.

They've been there for a couple of months that I know of and still in the same spots. So far all I can find the are two that I originally found on the same rock. They don't appear to be spreading. The one in the middle of zoas does seem like it's bothering them; they are all closed up at night around it. But they are still alive and well when the lights are on.

As long as they don't multiply to plague proportions I'm going to leave them be.

~Charlie

Piper said:
They've been there for a couple of months that I know of and still in the same spots. So far all I can find the are two that I originally found on the same rock. They don't appear to be spreading. The one in the middle of zoas does seem like it's bothering them; they are all closed up at night around it. But they are still alive and well when the lights are on.

As long as they don't multiply to plague proportions I'm going to leave them be.

~Charlie

I've seen some colonial forms of Psuedocorynactis, but all of the ones I have had in my aquariums have been seemingly solitary critters. Contrary to:

Kensington Reefer said:
it is stinging them.

I've not personally had any problems with these animals in my reef tank with other corals, however YMMV, I suppose. FWIW, I think they're very interesting, and pretty neat in a reef tank.

Kensington Reefer said:
The pic with the "nem" in the middle of the zoanthids that are closed and shying away appear to be bothered by it.

That is better... "appears" is MUCh less definite then your first go around:

Kensington Reefer said:
Charlie
If you are talking about the thing in the middle of your zoanthids, it is stinging them.
Cut it out like a cancer ;/
Or if you like it, leave it alone and let it make room for itself.
But yes it is an anemone. You decide if it is an enemy.

BAYMAC said:
iani said:
A_Lee said:
BAYMAC said:
Hey, no problem Erin. Glad I can help people like you that need some hand holding.

#win lol :p
This is not the kind of post that should be applauded or condoned on the BAR forum.

Nor was what I replied to.

Curious, stil on the BOD?
No one encouraged the post that you replied to. Obviously you know a post of that nature is not ok, so why even post it? I am no longer on the BOD as the sponsorship coordinator. Some of us were still on to smooth the transition between the new and the old BOD.

Back