If people actually had to post a price if they wanted to post something for sale

Discussion in 'Wouldn't it be good if...?' started by Guest, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

WIBGI if people actually had to post a price if they wanted to post something for sale on the B/S/T forum?

Most forums require this and for good reason.

2. jestersix

jestersix Sponsor

Agreed. We just started that with the CVR forums and it is very nice...

3. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

Note that a lot of things seem to be "will trade for frags".
    (Which is what I was going to do with a lot all my old equipment)
    Although you can still list a price, as a rough basis for a trade valuation.

It would also be really handy to post their general region as well.
    (As stated at the top of B/S/T, but seems like nobody reads that)

Might be time for a sticky + locked "RULES" thread at the top.

4. yardartist

yardartist Guest

What are the good reasons?

5. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

I think you should remove yourself from said discussion given your connection to the topic. If another BOD member who doesn't see the value, or hasn't been around long enough to have seen how bad that can go down wants to ask it, I'd be willing to address it.

6. yardartist

yardartist Guest

Gresham can you point me to an older thread that shows me what you are talking about in how bad that can go down? I might not have been around long enough to have witnessed what you are talking about.

7. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

8. screebo

screebo Guest

Curiouser and Curiouser. I listen and learn. H)

9. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

I prefer to answer the question, since being new to BAR, I could care less about the politics.

The main reason is that the lack of information can be a big waste of time, and frustrating.

With no price:
    You have to pm/post/email back and forth a couple of times.
    First, to ask price. Then, once you get the price, to say if you are interested.
    That can take a long time if people only log on at night.
    Then, compound it with multiple people interested.
    If you are nice, you have to wait for the first responder to get the price, and decide if they are interested.

The location plays into the cost.
    Takes time and gas money to go a long ways.

PLUS:
    You are selling something. Seems rather obvious people might be curious about the price.
    To be honest, I think twice even bothering if there is no price. It makes you wonder about the seller.
    A very common email-trolling scam is to post items with no price.

10. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

It's also a problem when the seller gives out various prices to different people. It's a small community and people love to talk about what they got. The second a person states they got it less then another person there is trouble.

No real politics Rygh, Richard's B/S/T post with no price was what spurred this. His feelings on the subject are known and I don't feel like going back and forth with him over it.

11. yardartist

yardartist Guest

My take on the topic is only known from this line in my thread to sell. I'm glad to see what others say about this suggestion Gresham has made.

'I listed a price for this lamp on another thread a month or so back. I thought I would try a different method since that one did not succeed. Being a buyers market right now, I thought I would post it as best offer. If someone can use it great.'

12. jestersix

jestersix Sponsor

+1, that was pretty much the reasoning at CVR in a nutshell. Working just fine so far...

13. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

A thought on 'Best Offer' FS things...

What if someone says 'Sure, I'll take it for $5' and no one else shows any interest.. Are you really going to sell x item for $5? Probably not, so then it's really not a 'Best Offer' listing.

Prices also keep things simple. Someone willing to pay, done deal. Others interested but not willing to pay asking price, then you get a PM with an offer which you can accept/decline. Simplicity is nice.

Or what about no BST :D Keep it all on those other forums... Unless discounted for BAR people :D

14. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

> Or what about no BST :D Keep it all on those other forums... Unless discounted for BAR people

No, I like the BAR one.
    Especially since you might get lucky and be able to meet the other person to exchange goods at the BAR meetings.
    (I bought a lot of rock at the last meeting)

15. ahh IDK about no BST....I often post things FS on this as well as other forums and list certain things lower on BAR due to the immense help and comradery ive found within this community. While i have taken crap from people from "other" forums about this it only emphasizes why i post FS items here first and cheaper to sell within.

16. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

I too like BST here. I'd rather sell it for less on this forum to people I know, then some random person on the interwebs.

And I too think items should have a price if for sale for many reasons including time convenience. If you aren't sure the value on something just ask and I'm sure you'll get feedback.

17. screebo

screebo Guest

Two ideas:
    (1) I love to give coral away and ask for something cool in return now or later.
    (2) When I'm shopping to buy something, I NEVER answer an ad if it doesn't list a price. Even homes in Hillsborough ought to have a listing price. I don't like sellers that measure what the market might bear based on my level of enthusiasm. :party: Also, I've had excellent luck selling on both Ebay and Craig's List using very good photos, short compelling verbiage and fair pricing. Just my 3 cents worth.

18. DML08

DML08 Guest

yup... someone "low Balling" will create quite a Ruckus...