If we had a club library?

Discussion in 'Wouldn't it be good if...?' started by r0ck0, Jul 19, 2010.

1. r0ck0

r0ck0 Guest

I have some books I would be willing to donate to the club to start a library. I would also be willing to be in charge of managing the library and finding new books. Finding donors, publishers, authors that would be able to contribute to the collection. It would also be nice if we had DVDs, I don't know of any right now but will look into that as well.

Honestly I have zero experience managing a library for a club so I will be wide open to suggestions. I thought it could be similar to DBTC where we have a thread for a book and can track who has it out the same way we track frags and their status. I would bring the book to the meeting and the borrower can keep it until another person requests it or return it at the next meeting when they are done.

Tonight I will post a list of books that I can lend or donate to the library. I also saw some good books at recycled books, a used book store, that I will probably be purchasing and would put those up for the library as well.

2. GDawson

GDawson Guest

Nice idea, but prolly not very practical. I don't now.......storage and mobility issues.......

Perhaps people could publish lists of books they have and don't mind sharing either at meetings (for the day only) or in their home.

-Gregory

3. GDawson

GDawson Guest

FWIW - if this gets green lighted I have several dozen AFMs that I was going to see if anyone wanted that could be donated instead.

-Gregory

4. seminolecpa

seminolecpa Past President

Like the idea Greg but concur with Gregory. The issue is going to be storage and management whih is already an issue with just our basic supplies. Speaking as the club storage unit and pack mule, I don't think I can handle storing much more at my place. The issue isn't so much the space as it is remembering to bring it all to the meetings.

5. GDawson

GDawson Guest

Is there a centrally located LFS that has an open corner for some shelving that could house the collection? They could also use it for cutomers to do research when shopping. Call it the BAR Sponsered Reference Section? Have info on the club there as well with contact and website information? Just have it that only BAR emebers can check out books but the public can browse....

-Gregory

6. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

I'd like to echo the concerns of storage, location, and accessibility (plus issues of lost and "lost" items) coming from experience in another club that actually tried out the library idea. In the end, it wasn't even used much, especially for the effort.

7. seminolecpa

seminolecpa Past President

Interesting solution but let me play devils advocate for a minute.

1) Are you going to ask said store to maintain the checkout of the books?

2) Does allowing the BAR library to reside at 1 specific LFS show preferential treatment to that sponsor over another?

totally not trying to bust your chops or shoot down the idea, just letting you know some of the intangible things that should be considered. Welcome to our world. :)

8. GDawson

GDawson Guest

Good points......and as Tony said lost and "lost" items.

What about one of the smaller public library branches? Stamp the books with the BAR logo so the public can't walk out with them...of course that make BAR members being able to check them out a bit problematic... but hey…with all our resources and frags put a nice little tank up with it to promote the hobby? Get a nice “volunteer” to manage a simple tank weekly…mushrooms and GSP…….Maybe put up info on CB….

Or what about a public high school library? And do the same thing…….

I’ve had waaaaaaay too much coffee…..

-Gregory