...if we had our REAL names listed in Sigs or side profile?

Discussion in 'Wouldn't it be good if...?' started by Gomer, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

For pure internet forums, sure, the moniker works, but when the forum is an extension of real life interactions, I find it more and more confusing to flip back and forth between forum names and real names and remembering WHOISWHO. On the new planted FW club I am in, only real names are allowed for login and on my former club, we either had to have our RN as login or in a sig. It sure made life much easier..not in theory, but in practice.

Heck, I am reading through some posts and see someone refering to another by real name yet I can't find out who the real name belongs to.

Thoughts?
    (See my sig for all I am asking for...or a spot for our REAL NAME under our Moniker on the left)

2. LeviT

LeviT Guest

You took the words right out of my ... keyboard! Come on folks at least put your first names on your signature so I stop calling Bryan Mike and Jeremy Jeff and Art Eric..... you get the idea. People that have been around will say or I got that from Alvin (just an example) and I'm like.... who's that? ;D

Come on now, this isn't a super hero club although some of you guys are Super Coral growing machines :p

3. Elite

Elite Guest

Hey I don't want everyone on the web know my name is Phong >:( ..

;D :D

4. LeviT

LeviT Guest

[quote author=Elite link=topic=2879.msg30444#msg30444 date=1200601165]
    Hey I don't want everyone on the web know my name is Phong >:( ..
    ;D :D
    [/quote]

It could be worse, your name could be Levi LOL

5. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

I knew someone with the last name of Levine. You could be Levi Le Levine :p

6. seminolecpa

seminolecpa Past President

Hmm ...... but I always wanted my name to be Mike

Ok not really.

I think it is kind of funny how some people come up with their handles and the pseudo impression people have of them until they actually meet. Heck most people I talk to thought I was a native american.

Oh and BTW. My name is Bryan and I am a reefaholic.

7. tuberider

tuberider Guest

Names? that's so '90s

8. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

:D some of us do use our names and people still ask us what are names are :(

9. LeviT

LeviT Guest

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=2879.msg30455#msg30455 date=1200603285]
    Names? that's so '90s
    [/quote]

What ever you..... what's your name.. (searching the thread.....) Oh yeah, Ricky! :)

10. LeviT

LeviT Guest

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=2879.msg30457#msg30457 date=1200603501]
    :D some of us do use our names and people still ask us what are names are :(
    [/quote]

So true. I would suggest that we store them in our profile but I still have people ask me where I live even though it's in there.

11. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Some people might want to maintain some sort of pseudo privacy.

*raises hand*

:D

12. seminolecpa

Wait..... your last name isn't Ugly?

13. Thales

Thales Past President

Its Mr.!

14. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

[quote author=seminolecpa link=topic=2879.msg30452#msg30452 date=1200602729]
    Hmm ...... but I always wanted my name to be Mike

Ok not really.

I think it is kind of funny how some people come up with their handles and the pseudo impression people have of them until they actually meet. Heck most people I talk to thought I was a native american.
    [/quote]

I should have something earlier, but I'm guilty of that in part :) I thought maybe you liked to re-inact N.A. battles playing the role of a N.A.

15. seminolecpa

Nope just a delusional fan of my former university that still holds out home that a guy named Bobby might soon retire so that a guy named Jimbo can replace him.

Don't you just love the south!

16. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Hey foo', my first name is Mr, my middle name is that period, and my last name is T!

Bryan: I thought you more of a FSU football fan that did taxes :D

Or maybe like me, went to a particular school... and something you do :D

17. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

Pseudo Anonymity:

Lets take 2 cases

1) You are a member who goes to meets--In this case people WILL know your name, your race, your gender, what you look like and your name will be brought up in threads as is. If you just list your first name on the forums, the ONLY thing you lose ispotential gender/race info to random people on the forum where there is already a base level of anonymity. If it is just a name that you want private, there are many many people who share the same first name as you, even those with uncommon names, so just listing a first name still doesn't really give up much.

2) You are a closet club member--If you only exist on the forum and never go to a function and anonymity is really an issue, then a made up name makes your cover even better.

18. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

I thought yours was just slang Mike.

SF (SAN Fran of course) sup (whatsup) hysics (think Snoop Dog or ATL style rap)

19. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=2879.msg30482#msg30482 date=1200605760]
    Pseudo Anonymity:

Lets take 2 cases

1) You are a member who goes to meets--In this case people WILL know your name, your race, your gender, what you look like and your name will be brought up in threads as is. If you just list your first name on the forums, the ONLY thing you lose ispotential gender/race info to random people on the forum where there is already a base level of anonymity. If it is just a name that you want private, there are many many people who share the same first name as you, even those with uncommon names, so just listing a first name still doesn't really give up much.

2) You are a closet club member--If you only exist on the forum and never go to a function and anonymity is really an issue, then a made up name makes your cover even better.

[/quote]

Since this is an open forum, the anonymity comes into play for the entire world wide web. Some may not want their name searchable via google which it would be if listed here. Some may want to hide the fact they're posting from work during work hours. Having their name listed is leaving a nice searchable trial.

20. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

Full name, I fully understand, but just first name, I don't entirely understand.

Either way, I am not asking for a requirement, just a request for those who are not super secretive on the forums :)