Jestersix

I'm going to try biopellets!

Coral reefer

Past President
I work on a 240 gallon fowlr. 2 BIG tangs, BIG puffer, newly added smallish lion...ready to go with some biopellets in a reactor and I recall reading mainly positive stuff here and elsewhere about ecobak. Anybody use anything else good? Anyone try brs ones yet? Looking for quality product of course, but bang for the buck as well. Thanks in advance!

Now that there's a way to recharge GFO does that make a difference in which product to choose? I'm not using either product yet, but I will in the near future so I'm wondering.

-Gregory

BRS ones just came out recently and I think are a lil more than WM Ecobak. I bought some Ecobaks from Premium Aquatics and took awhile to get because they were back ordered. It'll be awhile til I use the Ecobaks cause I have some GFO to last me til 3 more WC. :) I'll let you know how it works out when I start using it. :)

GDawson said:
Now that there's a way to recharge GFO does that make a difference in which product to choose? I'm not using either product yet, but I will in the near future so I'm wondering.

-Gregory

GFO only reduces PO4 where as these are supposed to do both phosphate and nitrate.

Are bio pellets like those smart pills that I clean out of the rabbit's cage? :bigsmile:
I run BRS GFO in granular form in a simplicity reactor. GFO cakes up pretty fast and becomes like a brick in the reactor after about 3 weeks. I wish I could follow this thread but my e mail notifications are a very dead horse at this time. :(

Check out the mr5 reactor from avastmarine.com
I am having an extra large one made for this very purpose. The regular reactor will work for a 90g tank though.

I'm using the large Artex reactor. A twist and turn lid with no screws to undo.

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=37_478&products_id=4387

Problem is that since I started using bio pellets I started to have cyno in my tank too.

The MR5 has screws however you do not need to unscrew them completely to take to top off. Its a key lock system where you just unscrew the screws a bit ans twist.

That vertex reactor looks nice. Did you replace the sponges with some plastic mesh though?

Perry, which pellets are you using? Also how much of them are you using? Is the output of the reactor directly into the skimmer pump?

I'm using 1000ml of biopellet from vertex and another 1000ml of ecobak from warner marine all mixed in the same reactor. The reactor output is directly in the skimmer sump. I just shutdown the reactor last night. I might need to scrub the rocks this weekend.

Very good article on probiotics. I would recommend reading at least this if not more before using bio-pellets.

I have been dosing zeobak, zeo start and zeo food for the last month or so. My nitrate and phosphate levels before weekly water changes were 5-10ppm and .3-.5 respectively, now they are a steady 0 and .05. No negative side effects, everything is doing better, coral colors are better, nuisance algae is going away, able to feed more without fear of nitrate and phosphate getting out of control.

Back